Explaination

Running. That was the only thing that had kept her alive for this long. Running as fast as she could, weaving and dodging through the woods that weren't familiar to her but she had heard enough about it from other students at her school. Massachusetts. Malia glanced at a few of the tall trees, picking out the ones that were hardwood oak, birch, beech, maple. She slowed down, stopping in her tracks. Her brown eyes scanned the coniferous forest all around wildly and frantic, looking for the hunters but to her relief she saw none of them. She took this time to calm down, slowing her breathing first and then her heartbeat.

When she had finally calmed down enough, she walked on through the woods still on edge though. Half a mile or so, she heard the sound of roaring waves hitting against rocks. Curiously, she picked up the pace and walked faster until she was practically running toward the loud noise. She saw a break in the trees up ahead and ran even faster, her shoes kicking up bits of leaves, small twigs and branches as well as small loose rocks until she ran out into an open area.

She wasn't sure what she had come to, her eyes looking at the high cliffs, large boulders and the huge expanse of water that greeted her. Movement on the corner of her eye caused her to look up at one of the cliffs and there she saw someone stood looking at the water with narrowed eyes. The person, whoever they were, turned to her then and their eyes turned yellow before they turned around and walked off.

From where she stood, Malia heard them say to someone else above, "I don't have the diadem and the bracelet because I don't think you need them."

Then she heard someone reply back to the mysterious person, their voice angry, "I told you I needed them for a spell! And you refused to help me!"

The person who Malia had seen on the rocks suddenly screamed in agony. She blinked and ran along the sand toward the large rocks. She climbed up them without much effort and when she reached the top of the cliff, she growled low in her throat as she saw some young girl glaring at a woman who was holding her head as she screamed in pain while kneeling on the ground.

The girl looked up at her when she heard the growl and she smirked saying, "Another hybrid like Hayley...how lovely." That was all the woman on the ground, who Malia guessed was Hayley, needed for a distraction. She rose up and surged forward, faster than Malia could blink, and knocked the girl unconscious.

"Who are you and what are you?", Hayley said to her as she glanced over to look at her.

"Malia, werecoyote.", Malia said then as she stared at Hayley and then turned her gaze to the girl who was unconscious. What did she mean by hybrid? She blinked and walked to Hayley.

Hayley said nothing and just picked up the girl, putting her over one shoulder as she started walking across the grass toward a two-story house that appeared to be really old-looking but was somehow still standing.

Malia jogged after Hayley and slowed down to walk next to her saying, "What did the girl mean when she said hybrid? Is it like a chimera?"

Hayley glanced at her and looked forward again replying with a smooth but yet husky voice, "No it's nothing like a chimera. A hybrid is someone who's either changed because they want to or they're created without having a choice. However, they do have a choice when it comes to how they live. They have more control over their transformations and with guidance they can learn how to control their thirst to feed."

"Feed? What do they feed off?", Malia asked again, not understanding at all what Hayley was telling her.

"Blood. Human blood because they're half vampire and half werewolf.", Hayley answered simply.

"But vampires don't exist though. Stiles told me a lot about them and he always said that they're fake.", Malia said.

Hayley looked at her and said, "Well whoever Stiles is, he was wrong. Vampires and witches both are as real as you being a werecoyote."

Malia was silent then which Hayley saw as an opportunity of carrying Faye's body back to where the young witch lived before she woke up. She returned to the young werecoyote's side in a matter of seconds and crossed her arms over her chest as she stood there.

Malia blinked and asked, "So how did you become a hybrid? Was it....did you have a choice or not?"

Hayley avoided her eyes, staring out at the ocean that separated the island of New Salem from the mainland, and said, "....it's complicated. I didn't have a choice but now I couldn't be more grateful...I guess...for being a hybrid."