Chapter 7: Rescue

Warm air wafts through the space as people cheer, he was up to a microphone and addresses the people, a voice deep but firm. " My quest for equality began many years ago." He takes the mic, " When I was a boy, my family and I lived on a small farm. We weren't rich, and none of us were benders. This made us very easy targets for the fire bender who extorted my father. " I can't help but feel how dramatic it is, he continues stoicly, " One day my father confronted this man, when he did... That fire bender took my family from me... And... Took my face. " There are scattered sounds of sadness and pity, some sighs and gasps.

" I've been forced to hide behind a mask ever since. " Definitely dramatic, I look to the two of them, who do the same in turn.

He continues, " As you know, the avatar has recently made it to republic city... " There are scattered boos across the crowd, "If she were here she would tell you that bending brings balance to the world, but she is wrong. The only thing bending has brought to the world is suffering. " He seems to get more passionate, " It has been the cause of every war, in every era. "

" But that is about to change... I know you have been wondering, ' what is the revelation? ' Well you are about to get your answer. "

" Since the beginning of time, the spirits have acted as guardians of our world, and they have spoken to me. " What? " They say the avatar has failed humanity. That is why the spirits have chosen me, to usher in a new era of balance. They have granted me a power, that will make equality a reality... The power to take a person's bending away permanently. "

I gasp and look at Korra " That's impossible, there's no way. " Mako replies, " This guy is insane. "

Amon continues, " Now for a demonstration. "  Oh no. " please welcome Lightning bolt Zolt. Leader of the Tripple Threat Triad. And one of the most wanted criminals in Republic city. " There's many boo's from the crowd, Zolt looks at the crowd and in a city accent tells them off. " Ah boo yourselves. " They make a few more men kneel on the stage, the last one reveals to be Bolin, finally. Korra nearly jumps at the opportunity, " There he is. " Mako stops her, " We can't fight them all, we need to be smart about this. " " Then come up with a game plan, team captain . " Korra says quietly.

Amon goes on, " Zolt has ammased a fortune from extorting and abusing nonbenders. But his rein of terror is about to come to an end. " He pauses and the guard unties Zolt, " Now in the interest of fairness, I will give Zolt the chance to fight to keep his bending. " Zolt quickly moves to an attack stance, " You gonna regret doin that pal." He throws fireballs at Amon, which he evades, then he channels his lightning and aims it at Amon. Amon jumps forward and veers Zolts arm away, turning him around and his arm to the sky. He's forced to his knees and he gasps before Amon puts his thumb to Zolts forehead. In a show of heat the continuous lightning bolt fades to fire, then shudders out. Zolt weakly falls to the stage. He slowly gets up and throws a weak punch, meant to be a belt of fire, but nothing happens. Hes shocked, " what? What did you do to me? " his voice weak and in pain.

Amon announces proudly, " Your firebending is gone... Forever. " The crowd gasps and I can't help but look up in shock. "The Era of bending is over. A new era, of equality, has begun! " A man grabs who I recognise as Shin from the line who nervously is pushed forward. "

Korra asks Mako, " Any ideas yet? " " Yes actually. " I look at them, " See those machines? They're powered by water and steam, " ah yes the industrial revolution. " If you can create some cover we can grab Bolin without anyone seeing. Then, we duck out of here. " Korra doesn't try to argue, " Works for me. " She stops him for a moment, " Mako, good luck. " and takes his hand, " You too" he replies. Before she runs off. Me and Mako make our way closer to the stage just as shin collapses. An old man wearing green is next before Bolin.. Soon he's on his knees as well, I hear mako under his breath. "Come on. " nervously.

Bolin gets untied and stands up just as the old man falls. He looks scared out of his mind as Amon turns around. " Bolin nervously says " Uh.. Hello, Amon, Sir, I think there's been a big misunderstanding." Just as Amon was about to move forward theres a loud crash and steam bursts through a newly made hole in the wall. It's impossible to see well but me and mako jump up as two guards try to take Bolin. Mako tosses one off stage and I kick the other off the edge. Mako checks on his brother, " Bolin, you alright? " Bolin enthusiastically replies, " Yes! Mako! And person.. " he slows down but mako grabs him and  we start making our way out. The back by breaking a door, I'm the last one out but we get followed by Amons henchman. We look up just in time to see him electrify the bars and we fall to the ground. He jumps and we all spread to an attack stance. Mako is the first to move by tossing fire at the man and he returns with the electric bars, he knocks Mako down and Bolin stars hurling large discs of cement at him, of which I follow suit trying to land a blow from the back. He dodges and jumps over a wall Bolin made. I can't see from my angle but I hear hits and electricity. I run and jump over the wall. Just as mako comes around the side. He bends fire and I toss a rock down at him just as he dodges again. It's a fast fight between mako and the man but mako gets pinned to the wall. I go to hit him from the back but I feel the bars on my chest and the jolt of electricity. " You benders have to understand, there's no place in the world for you anymore. I was about to try something but a spear of rock knocks him off of me. I hear Korra say, " I wouldn't count us out just yet. "

She whistles and calls Naga, picking up mako first and helping him on. I get up and see the other guards are coming and force myself up. Naga starts running and Bolin screams before she picks him up by his shirt. He makes uncomfortably spaced words to say he wants to be on her back but we keep going. I look behind us to see how many follow but they stop after we turn the corner of the alley.... They let us go?

We stop only when we get to the arena and Korra drops Mako and a very grateful Bolin off. She looks at me and I get the hint, getting off as well. " Thanks for the help I guess, what's your name again anyways? " Korra says a bit snarkily. I smile under the mask and chuckle, still holding my ribs. " If you really wanna know, it's y/n. Nice to meet you all. I think we're going to see more of each other. For now though. " I sigh at the pain in my rib, " I think a good night is where this ends. I'll see you around. " I turn to the street away from them, I don't want them to know I go to the island. There's the faint sound of them discussing my odd behavior before she says goodbye and leaves for home. The streets are abuzz with night life. I look around a bit before eventually taking back alley ways, I need to heal. I know when being electrified goes too far. I make my way for the park, going into a hunting shop and not stealing, but buying a water skin. I go and fill it with water I fileted and go to the warehouse.

It's just as dark and gloomy as I left it. The crates still being the most comfortable ' furniture' there is. I take off my top layers and look down. There's angry red marks and burn blisters where I was shocked. I sigh and bend the water from the skin around my hand, laying it over a mark.  It's a relief of coldness but it stings, the water glows and I start the healing process. Over time the blisters fade into slight white and leave the skin smooth.

I lean over my knees and reach over my shoulder, feeling that uneven skin again, something not even the best could heal. I remember the pasteries I hid and pull them out again, smiling that they're still a little warm. I decide to stay here tonight, maybe tomorrow will prove better.