Through the Sorting

Start from the beginning

"You'll just go straight through, see," Narcissa explained, pointing towards her son and husband who were each disappearing through the solid barrier of Platform 9 ¾. "I'll be right behind you."

Despite Narcissa's comforting words, Ariadne remained reluctant to run headfirst into a brick wall. Only after Athena, caged atop Ariadne's trunk, hooted in affirmation did she muster up the courage. She bolted, disappearing through the wall as if it were never really there.

On the other side of the platform, Ariadne marveled at the bustle of the wizarding world around her. Like at Diagon Alley, she was ecstatic to see children her own age, children who could do magic, ready to enter into the same journey as her at Hogwarts. Briefly, she imagined her parents running through the barrier year after year and wondered if they felt the same exhilaration that she did. She allowed the image to slip away, determined to allow today to be as happy as it could be.

Following closely behind, Narcissa firmly grabbed Ariadne by the shoulder, halting her as she walked towards Draco and Lucius.

"Be careful this year, Ariadne. Try not to worry about your sorting, though it really would be safer for you to be in Slytherin. Stay close to Draco this year. He can take care of you if you need it. And..." Narcissa hesitated. "Don't worry about your father. He was better than people want to believe."

Well, Ariadne didn't know what to make of that. She could guess Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy's stance on the war, but Narcissa's hesitation made her pause. Better? Better as in served Lord Voldemort wholeheartedly, better? She opened her mouth to ask for clarification, but Narcissa was already pushing her along.

As she reached Lucius and Draco, Mr. Malfoy was just finishing off his goodbye to Draco.

"Don't forget to write. And do stay out of trouble, Draco."

"Yes, Father." Draco nodded dutifully. As he did, Narcissa grabbed him and pulled him into a large hug.

"My darling boy," she began, tears filling her eyes. Ariadne turned away to allow them a moment, but as such found herself standing awkwardly at Mr. Malfoy's side. He turned to speak to her to break the silence.

"I expect you to stay out of trouble as well, Ariadne."

"Yes, Mr. Malfoy." Ariadne responded, doubting too much trouble would find her. He looked away. As Draco wrenched out of his mother's arms, he grabbed Ariadne's and led her onto the train. She waved goodbye to Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy (really the latter).

"Leave your bags. It'll be taken care of."

Ariadne looked around. "Other students are putting their bags on themselves."

Draco laughed. "Other students aren't me," he said smugly.

Ariadne hesitated before nodding, leaving her trunk on the ground. She grabbed Athena's cage to take with her, just to be certain. Draco grabbed her arm and lead her into an already full compartment. Ariadne recognized the people that she had met the day prior at Diagon Alley, plus two new faces.

"Ariadne, you know those lot," Draco said, nodding his pointy chin towards Daphne, Blaise, Crabbe and Goyle. "The other two are Nott and Bulstrode." Draco now pointed to a quite nice-looking blonde boy and a rather large girl.

"Theodore, actually. Theodore Nott." Nott said, smirking at Ariadne. She nodded politely back, though his grin was somewhat off-putting. "Well, Draco? Who have you brought along with you today? Are you going to make a proper introduction?"

"This is my cousin Ariadne, Nott, so sod off. Speaking of– Crabbe. Goyle. My and Ariadne's bags are outside. Put them away?"

The two hulking figures of Crabbe and Goyle nodded once before exiting the compartment. Daphne laughed watching them, before turning smiling eyes on Nott.