Don't Ever Leave My Sight Again(Requested)

"Come on, Amity, move it! We don't have all day." Max yelled. 

"Watch it, Grandpa," Lily shoots back. She took a deep breath and jumped. She fell into a net, having only a moment to chuckle at the absurdity that was now her life, before the net was yanked and she came tumbling out into Eric Coulter. 

That was Choosing Day two years ago. The day where Lily's life literally crashed into the infamous Eric Coulter's. Their lives forever to be entwined. 

"You're going to get yourself hurt worse than this one of these days, Amity." 

"I'm not Amity anymore, Eric. I've been Dauntless for two years," Lily grouses. "Ouch!" 

"Sit still," Eric gently demands. "You may have joined Dauntless two years ago, Lily, but you're still very much Amity. You won't fight when you need to. It's going to get you into trouble one of these days. Now sit still, I'm almost done." He brings the cloth up to her arm again, gently wiping away the dirt and dried blood. Once the cut is clean, Eric grabs a gauze and starts wrapping it. "There you go, honey."

"Thanks, Eric," Lily says dejectedly. 

"Listen. Lily, honey. You are an amazing fighter and I admire the fact that you'd rather try to talk it out first but sometimes you have to fight. You have the courage of a Dauntless but you still have the peacefulness of Amity. Now there are times that comes in handy but I'm afraid that it's going to get you into trouble one day." Lily nods, looking down at her lap. "Come 'ere," Eric wraps an arm around her shoulder and pulls her into his side. "I love you. Never doubt that." 

"I love you too," she says quietly, snuggling into his side. 

"Let's just all calm down! This doesn't need to get violent!" Lily desperately attempts to keep the situation from escalating. Lily's patrol was escorting food  trucks from Amity back to Dauntless when a mob of faction-less had stopped the trucks. The faction-less had the group of ten easily outnumbered three-to-one. 

"Shut it!" the leader yells. "Just get your hands up and do as we tell you!" 

Lily does as she's told and slowly raises her hands. "Come on. No one needs to get hurt."

"How did you ever end up in Dauntless?" he taunts. Lily glares at him but let's the comment slide. "You're nothing more than a pathetic little girl. You don't deserve to call yourself Dauntless! I deserve to still be in Dauntless!"

"Just calm down! Settle down and we can sort this out!" Lily finally raises her voice. 

"I told you to shut it!" As quick as a flash, he reaches behind his back and pulls a gun out of his waistband. He brings it up and points it at Lily. 

"Come on. Just put the gun down." A gun shot rings through the car followed by a strangled scream. Lily crumples to the ground, clutching her side. 

"Lily!" James, her second in command, rushes to her side. 

"I'm okay, James," she pants. 

"Let me look at it." She tries to push his hands away when he moves to lift her shirt in order to assess the wound. "Lily. It's okay. I just need to see the damage," he says quietly. She nods reluctantly. He carefully probes around. "The bullet passed through and it doesn't appear to have hit anything vital. What are we going to do, Lily?" James asks quietly into Lily's ear.

"We wait till they're leaving and we go for the guns." They load up and back off of the trucks. "Three... two..." I quietly start counting down. "One." we all dive for our guns and gunfire erupts from both sides. We dive for cover, James helping Lily. Lily's patrol holds the faction-less down long enough for back up to arrive. The mess is sorted out rather quickly once reinforcements show up. James wraps Lily up while everyone else loads up the faction-less and then they're on their way back to Dauntless. 

Eric is anxiously waiting when the trucks finally roll in. A swarm of Dauntless mixed with faction-less emerge from the vehicles. "Lily!" Eric calls, searching above the crowd. 

"Eric?"

"Lily?!" 

"Eric. Over here!" He finally spots her but relief quickly turns into worry when he sees how she's relying on James to support her. He rushes over to them, taking her from James. 

"What happened, Lily girl?" 

"She's been shot. She needs to get to the medical wing," James informs. 

"I'm-" 

"Don't you dare say 'I'm fine'." James interrupts. 

"I'm okay," she sasses, staring him right in the eye. 

"Okay, kids. That's enough. Lily, you're going to med bay. James, are you able to take care of things?" 

"Yes, sir," he nods. 

"Thank you for all you've done." And with that, Eric escorts Lily to the med bay. 

"We'll keep you here overnight for observation but you should make a full recovery," the doctor says, half an hour later, tying off the bandage. 

"Thank you, doctor," Eric says, Lily nods in agreement. The doctor nods and smiles before leaving the room. "You wanna tell me what happened now?" 

"Well, you were right. Amity got me in  trouble." Eric just tilts his head, studying her. "You can say, 'I told you so'." 

"How did it happen?" he asks softly. 

"I was trying to talk him down. I apparently tried too hard. He got upset, pulled a gun, I told him to put it down, and he shot me. You were right. I'm still too much Amity. I put my team in danger."

"What happened after that?" 

"We waited until they were leaving and we went for the guns. Held them down until reinforcements showed up,' she shrugs. 

"See? You did what you needed to do. Maybe a little later than you should have, but when push came to shove, you fought. And that proves you're Dauntless and that you're braver than most. I'm proud of you, sweetheart. And now you'll know how to handle things differently next time." 

"Thanks, Eric," Lily smiles softly. 

"Now, young lady. You need to get some rest." Eric tugs the blankets up to her chin before gingerly tucking it around her. Lily giggles at his antics. When he's done fussing, he straightens before settling into the chair beside her bed. Lily stares at him confused. "What? Did you think I was going to leave?"

"Well.. yeah. There's no reason for you to stay here," she shrugs. 

"There's one very good reason. You're never leaving my sight again, young lady." 

"Eric. I appreciate the concern but you need sleep too. You should just go home. I'll be fine."

"I'm not going anywhere so just go to sleep, princess."

"Yes, Dad," sarcasm mixed with genuine love and gratitude tints Lily's voice as she settles in to sleep, knowing she's safe as long as Eric watches over her.