Chapter Thirty-Two: Revelations

Comenzar desde el principio

He cooed in my ear as I let the tears flowed. When I felt I was done crying I attempted to get out of his embrace but he wouldnt let me. I sniffed and looked at him with my tears stained eyes.

"Please don't cry. Mi luz, please don't cry." Nicolai kept whispering to me till I stopped crying. He then let me go and begun to pace back and forth. Occasionally he would pass his hands through his hair and let out a sigh.

"Nicolai"

"Sorry" he said but continued pacing. I dont even think he really registered what he said. He paced for a while and then walked out of my hospital room without a word or a glance at me.

I was confused.

I took a nap and when I woke up Nicolai was back and seated in an armchair in a corner in the room. He seemed to be asleep. As if he felt me staring, he opened his eyes and stared right back at me. this time round I held his gaze longer than I had previously.

"Dria" he said and got up. He pulled a chair and placed it by my bed before sitting. He then took my hands in his and starting rubbing them.

"Nicolai, you have to talk to me." he said nothing so I pulled my hands out of his. He took my hands yet again.

"I would. I'm just gathering my thoughts and trying to figure out where to start from."

"How about from the beginning?" I offered a solution but I knew it was easier said than done.

"Okay. Here goes nothing." I got comfortable as Nicolai began recounting his genesis to me.

"So it pretty much began when I was born. My birth was a unique one. My mum passed away a few minutes after giving birth to me and as you know it is quite weird and unusual for a she-wolf to pass away after giving birth. So as a result I have a mark on my hip to show for it. My dad blamed me for his mates death and so he started abusing me. Any little thing I'd do he would straight up beat me till I couldn't even walk straight." I let out a gasp.

What kind of a father did that to his own biological son? I get that losing your mate is a very painful and unfortunate thing but in the cases of people who did, they are able to pick themselves up and channel all the love they had for their mate to their child.

"I started training to be an alpha at about five years old. I would follow my dad to work and do whatever it is he told me to do. And he faulted practically anything and everything I did. It was at that time that I completely changed and put on this cold persona. I was broken inside and there was no one I felt I could confide in. I was lost and all alone in this world. The person that should have been my hero was the one making my life a living hell. He forgot that I had also lost someone. I had lost my mother!" I heard the crack in Nicolai's voice and for the first time I saw tears in his eyes.

It broke my heart to hear that my mate had been through all these thing alone. Now I felt so terrible for judging him and being too hard on him at the beginning. I guess that's why we are always told not to judge a book by the cover.

Or that we can only judge someone if we have walked a mile in their shoes.

"I'm so sorry you had to go through all that Nich. It wasn't your fault your mum passed after giving birth to you." I reassured my mate as I pulled him in for a hug.

"I couldn't do any of the things I loved or wanted to try because dad wouldn't allow me. He made me a promise. A promise that always rung in my head and scared me to death. He told me that when I found my mate and was in love with her, he would take her away from me like I did to his mate. That was the reason why I didn't want to get close to you or allow you come close to me but as fate would have it I couldn't help but let you into my heart." Nicolai took a minute to compose himself before continuing.

"The night of our date when you were asked to deliver a message to me by a wolf without a scent-"

"That was your father?!"

"Yes. It was my father. Apparently when wolves lose their mates they also lose their scent and the message was basically his way of reminding me of the promise he made to take you from me so I would be able to feel what he felt." The nerve of the man! Who did he think he was?

"I'm so sorry for putting you through all this Dria. You have no idea how much I would love things to have been different so that you could have the best life." Nicolai spoke with such emotions that I really believed him. It was at that moment that I realized something I had failed to realize before.

"It isn't your fault Nicolai Sharpe. Don't worry about it, we will get through this." I said lovingly as I rubbed y hands at his back.

"So I got pissed after seeing what he had done to you and so I went to confront him."

"Nooooo!" I gasped in shock. I never could have guessed that was why he left immediately after seeing I was settled in bed.

"I told him how I was done playing his game and that I wouldn't allow him hurt you. I turned to leave and that was when I felt a sharp pain in my back. I reached my hand to my back and pulled out a dagger." That just brought everything into perspective.

"So basically you felt everything I went through. I hurt you Dria. It's my fault you're in this hospital bed. I couldn't protect you like a good mate should!" Nicolai cried. It really broke my heart to see him let go of all his bottled up emotions. I could do nothing but just embrace him and be a shoulder for him to cry on.

"I'm sorry my love. I'm so sorry I let you go through all that."

"You don't have to blame yourself for any of these Nicolai. It wasn't your fault." I reassured him.

"Thanks"

"Don't mention it" I gave him a small smile. Nicolai stood from his seat and drew closer to me. His face inched closer to mine till his lips met mine in a kiss. I dont know if it was because of how vulnerable we were both feeling or maybe it was because of all we had been through but this kiss felt different.

It was a kiss of gratitude, a kiss of apology, a kiss of promise and a kiss of unending love. I dont know if Nicolai loved me yet but

I loved him.

Nicolai pulled away and placed his forehead against mine. We both caught our breaths. I stared up into his eyes when he moved back a bit and raised my chin with his finger.

"I love you Dria. I love you very much." Nicolai confessed. I swear my heart did a backflip at his words.

"I love you too Nich." I said as I closed the gap between us by sealing our confession with a kiss.

We pulled apart and it was then that we noticed we had company. There was someone standing at the threshold of the door. The person stood at the door with a myriad of emotions flashing across his face. Hurt. Anger. Sadness. He seemed to break out of his trance and then he stormed out of the room.

Travis was gone.

******************
Oh my gosh guys isn't it just sad? How a father can do that to his only son and child? Like the child is innocent for crying out loud!

Poor Nicolai. The cold alpha does indeed have a heart.

Enough of the sad stuff..... they finally told each other the three worded sentence!!!!

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!

What did you think of Travis being there when they broke away from their kiss?

Do you guys think he heard about Nicolai's confessions?

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please don't forget to hit the star to vote and leave a comment.

Thanks for reading. Y'all are the best!

~Sharon 👑