Chapter 21

My eyes flew open when I heard the sound of sea waves, crashing together. The blue birds fluttered their wings in the sky and the rays of sunshine made it hard for me to open my eyes. After rubbing my eyes, I realised that me and David had fallen asleep on the beach chairs. I averted my gaze towards the chair beside me but David was not to be found. I cluelessly looked around in search of him but he wasn't around. I panicked.

"David!" I shouted and there was no response. Maybe he had left me here alone. Maybe he didn't care about me.

I got on my feet with a bad mood and turned around to leave but I spotted him. He was sitting on the small wooden dock, all alone by himself. I walked towards him and I realised he was whistling a soft melodious tone. It was pleasant to listen to it. The tone became clearer with each step I took but he noticed me and he stopped whistling.

"No one told you to stop." I said as I sat beside him.

He smiled and put an arm around me before kissing my cheek. "It isn't that good."

My head shook. "It was wonderful."

David shrugged his shoulders. "Learnt it from my mom. So did you sleep well?"

My head nodded as the answer to his question and he smiled. "Today will be a tiring day. We need to pack our clothes and you have to ask that headmistress of yours for some days off. That reminds me, I even have to book the ticket for you."

He took out his phone and for a minute he was shocked. He stared at his phone in disbelief as he scrolled down through his notifications on twitter. Then he looked up at me and showed me his phone. It was a picture of me and David.

"The media knows about us now. They won't let us live together. It's everywhere on the internet!" He said. How could we be so reckless? We should have been aware of this.

"Damn it... What now?" I looked at him for a solution and he calmed down.

"It wouldn't be that bad. The media might try to break us apart but promise me that you won't leave me..." He held my hand and looked at me with a gentle smile.

"I promise. I'll always be there for you." The corners of my mouth lifted up into a smile and David ruffled my hair.

He got up and lent me a hand to stand up too. We decided to take different paths and go home alone or else someone would find us and it would be a trouble for us.

I turned around to leave but David grabbed my arm. "Are you sure you can go alone?"

"David, I'm not a child. Of course I can go alone." I stared at him. He gave me a cute look which was so irresistible. I had to give him a little kiss on his forehead. "I'll see you at night."

~

By afternoon, everything was ready. My clothes were packed, the headmistress gave me permission to leave for two weeks and David had texted me that he booked my ticket for France.

We were watching the TV and nothing was interesting on it. "Piece of garbage." Dad said under his breath as he changed the channels. I continued reading my favourite book which was at least more interesting than the TV.

Then suddenly I heard David's name on TV and I looked up. He was standing in the middle of a street which was familiar to me but he was surrounded by many reporters.

"David! Answer these questions for us!" The reporter said, almost in a shout. "The girl you were with, does Sara Madeira know about her?"

David smiled weakly. "Sara Madeira hasn't been in contact with me since 6 months now."

"And who is this girl? Is she from a lower standard?" Another reporter put a question.

David gazed at the reporter with furious eyes. "No. She isn't. And I don't care how she lives. The truth is that we both love each other. Thank you for your questions." He pushed the reporters aside and his guards followed him.

He defended me... In front of the media. My parents were staring at me with amusement while I felt my eyes getting heavy with tears of happiness. "I...have to go to him."

~

"Thank goodness you're here!" Maria opened the door and she was really worried. There was a deep furrow in her eyebrows. "David is depressed. I don't know why. He's been drinking ever since he came back home."

"Where is he?" I couldn't think of anything but him.

She pointed at the stairs before saying "He's at the rooftop."

With my heart pounding, my feet rushed at great speed towards the stairs. I was worried about him. He would never drink. I knew him very well even if we knew each other for only some time. He wasn't like the others. He didn't want to live a life like the others. He was humble and virtuous which is why people loved him.

When I reached the rooftop, I was surrounded by several broken pieces of glass. It smelled of alcohol everywhere and I had to be careful when I took a step. It was a mess and David wasn't around.

"Maria, I told you to go away..." His sulky voice made me stand there motionless. I found him. He was sitting in a corner, his face buried in his hands.

"David..." My voice trembled and he moved his face to look up at me. Our gazes were locked up together. I had to be confident. Nothing would be alright if I let myself get hypnotised by him. So I moved carefully, avoiding the shattered pieces of glass, and made my way to David. I bent down and sat in front of him, held both of his hands so that he calmed down.

"What is it?" My free hand caressed his warm cheek which had become red.

He bit his lip and tried to look away but I held his face with both of my hands and moved my face forward towards his. We were so close that our lips were almost touching. "Tell me..."

"Você é irresistível... (You are irresistible.)" He gently brushed his fingers across my cheek but he stopped. "Sara...wants to get back together."

--------------

A/N

Hope you guys like the chapter! :3