Prologue

"Mom," a young Hannah tugs at her shirt. "Why do we live here? Everyone is so mean to me and I'm not allowed to use my quirks outside."

"Many years ago," her mother started. "Your father and I were very important people. Being as important as we were, that means we had a lot of enemies."

"We know this town isn't ideal," her father sighed. "But it's safe and the government has no record of it."

"We just want to keep you safe, Hannah," her mom bends down to hug her.

"One day," her father said, joining them. "You'll find a place where you belong."

----------

Hannah sat on the swings by herself during recess. The town wasn't very big so there was only one elementary school. All the other kids were mean. She tried to fit in, she really did, but having foreign parents and quirks it's like the kids could tell something was wrong with her.

She simply sat there, kicking at the gravel as she slowly swung back and forth.

"Hey weirdo!" a kid called out as a group approached. "Planning a bombing any time soon?"

"No," she whispered. "Why would you eve-"

"Shut up," the kid cut her off. "Who gave you permission to speak, ugly?"

Hannah turned her gaze towards her feet and stayed quiet.

"Man, she can't even stand up for herself."

"Why is she so ugly?"

"I bet her parents got kicked out of Japan."

"Why don't you just leave already?"

"Look at me," the kid spoke again walking up to her, his shadow covering her. "Wh-"

"Big mistake," Hannah whispered.

The kid didn't respond, he couldn't move. Panic flashed in his eyes as she reached over to touch his face.

"Go away and take your friends with you. I don't want to be bothered," she commanded.

"Let's go," the kid managed to scoff. "Let's leave the freak alone."

The group looked at him confused.

He came back later and beat her up.

----------

"Hannah! Come down here for a minute!"

"Why?!" She called back.

No response.

"Ugh," she groaned. "Parents."

She sat down her cat and fumbled clumsily down the stairs.

"What do you want mom?"

"You have a chance to go to Japan!"

"What? Why?!"

"UA is starting a foreign exchange program! You should apply!"

"UA? What's that, some sort of school?"

"It's where your father went to school," her mom's eyes sparkled with excitement. "It's a chance for you to go back home and explore your quirks in a safe environment! All you have to do is apply and do an interview!"

"Does that mean we're all moving back to Japan?"

There was a silence after that. Her mom and dad looked at each other.

"It would just be you. It's safer that way," her dad explained. "We still have enemies and we want you to be safe as possible."

----------

A few months had passed since she sent in the application and had an interview with Principal Nezu. Hannah had been anxiously checking the mail. Whether it was for a rejection letter or an acceptance letter, she had yet to find out.

It had been another rough day at school and all she wanted to was curl up with her cat and watch some movies. Out of habit she checked the mailbox and there it was, a letter from UA.

"MOM," she screamed as she ran into the house. "IT'S HERE!"

"Oh my gosh sweetie! Open it, open it, open it!"

"I'M GONNA DO IT IN MY ROOM AND LET YOU KNOW!" She rushed up to her room and slammed the door, scaring her cat awake.

She excitedly opened the envelope to find... a disk?!

"Huh?!"

Suddenly a projection started to play from the device.

"Holy shit! All-Might?!"

"HA HA! HELLO YOUNG HANNAH COLE. I AM HERE TO WELCOME YOU AS THE FIRST FOREIGN EXCHANGE STUDENT AT UA! I EXPECT GREAT THINGS!"

"MOM!"