➳ nine

When we get to the house, my heart is practically beating out of my chest. I rode over the house in Morgan's car, and he tried comforting me, but it just didn't work. I'm not necessarily worried about the boys (although, that is in the back of my mind). I'm more worried about Reid. We're both horrible with guns and protecting ourselves, but Reid is ten times worse than me, and that's pretty damn bad.

Hotch sets up communication between us and SWAT who have just arrived on the seen. I take in a few deep breaths as I put on my bullet proof vest. JJ comes up to me and gives me a reassuring smile. She's the only one on the team who knows how much Reid means to me. She puts a hand on my shoulder.

"You okay, Hannah?" JJ asks trying to give me a smile, but I can tell she's nervous as well. We are both pretty close to Reid and know his field capabilities aren't at par.

I nod and finish the last strap of my vest. "I'll be fine. I mean, we haven't heard any gun shots. It looks like there's no signs of forced entry. Maybe she isn't even here, yet?"

JJ bites her lip and shrugs. We both know the unsub is most likely already in the building. "Maybe," she repeats in a weak voice. We turn around and walk towards the crowd of people who are gathering around Hotch.

"Alright, we have a phone linked directly to the home phone of the house. I'm going to call it now, and we have our technical analyst on the other end recording the whole conversation. The plan is to make a few bargains with the unsub and make sure she doesn't hurt those inside." Hotch's voice is calm, and I admire it. I would be petrified if one of my team members were inside the house, alone, with an armed and highly dangerous unsub, who we don't even know the name of, yet.

Hotch nods and picks up the phone dialing the number. He furrows his brow and speaks into the phone. Besides the sound of the wind, the exterior of the house is completely silent, so we can hear everything he's saying.

"Hello?" Hotch finally says after seconds of waiting in agony. "May I ask who I'm speaking with." I bring my fingers to my lips and bite on my nails softly. It's become a horrible habit, but right now, I don't have the energy or will power to stop.

"Well, Dana," I hear Hotch say. The unsub has a name. "I'm afraid we can't do that. You have, in that house, a federal agent and four boys who we know you care deeply about. Us leaving would only cause a hazard. ... Yes, I know we trust you with them, but that's not the point. Sadly law enforcement won't allow us to back off until the agent and boys are safely removed from the premises. ... I know I'm law enforcement, which is exactly-"

Hotch is stopped short and his brow becomes furrowed again. He turns to me and hands me the phone. "It's for you," he mumbles urging me to take the phone in his hand.

I do, after forcing myself to, and bring the phone to my ear. "This is Agent Hart," I say in a firm voice.

"Ahh, Agent Hart," Dana says on the other side. The sound of her voice sends shivers down my spine. "I asked for you, you know."

"I figured," I say keeping my voice steady. I've had a lot of practice with this. "How can I help?"

She laughs. "You can't help me. You can help them if you want, but no guarantees. You know, Ashton's my favorite in the band, and he gave you something I've wanted my whole life."

"I don't know what you're talk-"

"Don't play games with me!" Dana hisses, cutting me off. I feel myself physically shrink back. "You know what you did, you little slut, and now your friend Reid, here, has to pay for it. Don't think I don't know how this works."