Chapter Twenty-Two - Winner Take All

Start from the beginning

    "Um... I don't know how to tell you this, man, but... you're outta cards," Cyborg says.

    Robin gestures to me. "Ember, gimme your cards."

    I look at the Titan. "Don't lose, Robin," I say as I hand them over.

    A white flash distracts us all from the game at hand, and when it vanishes, Robin and Beast Boy have disappeared. "Huh?" is all Cyborg gets out before another flash takes him as well.

    "This is part of the game?" Starfire asks, looking at Raven and I.

    "Uh..." Raven shrugs.

    "What happened?" I ask, looking at the cards that were in Cyborg's hands, now on the floor. I run to the computer and scan for their trackers. "That's weird," I state. "They're in the Tower."

    Raven walks over to me, Starfire following. "I have not seen this before," Starfire comments. "Will they be okay?"

    I shrug. "They'll have to be. This anomaly hasn't occurred before. They could be anywhere." I look at Raven, then to Starfire, but before I can ask one of them to get Terra, a two flashes of light occur from the corner of my eye and when I turn around, Robin, Beast Boy, and Cyborg are all back.

    Starfire reaches them first. "What has happened? Are you okay?"

    Robin looks at Cyborg, who steadies Beast Boy. "Yeah," he replies, heaving a sigh. "I think—"

    The leader is interrupted by a flash of light, and when he looks up, Starfire's gone. I look at Raven, then lock eyes with Robin. "Oh, no..." I mutter, and a second flash of light blinds me. When it subsides, I'm no longer in the Tower. I stand in a gold and white arena, reminiscent of medieval Roman designs. Seven other female heroines surround me, though I only recognise four of them.

    The first one that I don't recognise has jet black hair, tied up in a high ponytail. She sports a bright red jumpsuit, with gold stars and a gold belt with the letter 'W' imprinted on it. On her hip, attached to her belt, sits a golden rope.

    The second girl is easily defined by her posture and the large wings attached to her back. Her dark skin contrasts nicely with the yellow stripes that accompany the black ones on her top, and her black hair sits in two rounded buns. She holds with her two guns in the shape of the letter 'B.'

    The third figure sends shivers down my spine. Her slim figure is dressed in silver and black armour, and she holds a sword in each hand. Her white hair cascades down her back, and one blue iris pokes out from behind a familiar black and bronze mask that makes my fists clench in raw anger. Raven spots this and places a reassuring hand on my shoulder to calm me down.

    "Welcome, champions all!" a deep voice says, bring my attention elsewhere. "You are hereby invited to compete in the Tournament of Heroines!"

    "Ember?" Starfire calls from beside me, and I turn to look at her.

    "Yeah?"

    "I have a bad feeling about this," she states. I nod cautiously before turning back to the deep voice. It belongs to a hybrid creature with a large, red jewel draped around his neck.

    "Who are you?" I ask, stepping forward. "And why are we here?"

    The creature smirks. "I am the Master of Games! And you are here to compete in the Tournament of Heroines. A friendly competition between the world's greatest young champions." A hologram appears from a small crack in the center of the arena's flooring, the images it depicts full of colour.