The Chamber of Secrets

Start from the beginning

"Oh — that — that's nothing to do with the Chamber of Secrets," Percy interrupts Harry.

"How do you know?" Ron says.

"Well, er, if you must know, Ginny, er, walked in on me the other day when I was — well, never mind — the point is, she spotted me doing something and I, um, I asked her not to mention it to anybody. I must say, I did think she'd keep her word. It's nothing, really, I'd just rather —" Harry doesn't think he's ever heard somebody sound so uncomfortable.

"What were you doing, Percy?" Ron says, sounding quite amused. "Go on, tell us, we won't laugh."

Percy doesn't satisfy him with a response, instead says, "Pass me those rolls, Harry, I'm starving."

Even though Harry knows the mystery will be solved by tomorrow, he isn't going to pass up an opportunity to talk to Myrtle. That opportunity comes mid-morning as they are being led to History of Magic by Lockhart.

The man is now completely convinced that walking them to and from classes is unnecessary and a waste of his time. Harry, being the Almost-Slytherin he is, uses this to his advantage.

"Mark my words," he tells them as they walk. "The first words out of those poor Petrified people's mouths will be 'It was Hagrid.' Frankly, I'm astounded Professor McGonagall thinks all these security measures are necessary."

"I agree, sir," Harry says, making Ron drop his books in surprise. He quickly begins to pick them up as Lockhart responds.

"Thank you, Harry," he says. "I mean, we teachers have quite enough to be getting on with, without walking students to classes and standing guard all night..."

"That's right," Ron says, realizing what Harry is doing. "Why don't you leave us here, sir, we've only got one more corridor to go —"

"You know, Weasley, I think I will," Lockhart says. "I really should go and prepare my next class —"

And off he goes.

"Prepare his class," Ron says. "Gone to curl his hair, more like."

They let the rest of the Gryffindors walk ahead of them before they hurry off toward Myrtle's bathroom. Just as Harry begins to gloat about their little scheme, a voice stops them in their tracks.

"Potter! Weasley! What are you doing?"

Professor McGonagall.

"We were — we were —" Ron stammers, trying to think of a cover story. "We were going to — to go and see —"

"Hermione," Harry cuts in. There's a split second of silence before he continues, forcing his voice to start shaking. "We haven't seen her for ages, Professor, and we thought we'd sneak into the hospital wing, you know, and tell her the Mandrakes are nearly ready and, er, not to worry —"

Professor McGonagall is silent for a long moment and Harry is just beginning to think that his story didn't work when she speaks, her voice actually shaking.

"Of course," she says. "Of course, I realize this has all been hardest on the friends of those who have been... I quite understand. Yes, Potter, of course you may visit Miss Granger. I will inform Professor Binns where you've gone. Tell Madam Pomfrey I have given my permission."

Ron and Harry walk away quickly and, distantly, they hear Professor McGonagall blow her nose.

"That," Ron breathes, suddenly linking his arm with Harry's, "has got to be the best story you've ever come up with."

Harry, his face burning, smiles.

Unfortunately, though, they are forced to head to the hospital wing, not wanting to risk Professor McGonagall finding out they didn't go after getting her permission.