Chapter Thirty - Annihilation

Start from the beginning

"Okay, one victory down, well done," I start slowly, nodding at those who grin back at me. "But this isn't where we get cocky. No. Now we keep our title and build a reputation – make Oakwood view us as a formidable force. Fighting isn't always physical, a high percentage of it is mental.

"You're strong enough to take them down. Believe it. Breathe it. Don't let your mind or body falter in its decisions – if you're not strong enough to take the pressure, walk away now. I will not be taking anyone to represent the camp if they can't keep up. This is battle – if you've trained enough, your chances of survival are higher. But not guaranteed."

I let my last words linger before I continue, wanting the fear to drive them more than my words. Fear makes people work, long speeches don't. "Since it's not guaranteed, you need to work for it. Do it today. Don't let me down, don't let the camp down."

I'm glad to see some inspired eyes shining back at me, letting me know my job as defense leader is being done to the best of my abilities. Noise resumes in the entrance as I breathe out a sigh of relief and step back into the crowd. I manage one step before an echoing boom vibrates the ground beneath my feet.

One. Two. Three.

Terror.

A silent killer, the fear stops anyone talking. All heads turn and it takes me a moment to realize that they're looking at me. The strongest soldiers looking at me for guidance. I hold up a hand to stop them, listening to every inconsistency in the air. When the vibrations stop, I hear them.

Screams.

"Grab weapons and get out there. Protect the camp – don't let them destroy our food sources." I shout above the noise, running back down to defense with everyone surrounding me. "This must be an attack. Do not hesitate, not even for a second, to kill."

"They attack us, we attack them. Bring extra to give to the people who are weaponless." Leonardo shouts, instructing from behind me.

We pour into the defense base as a tsunami wave of dread and adrenaline. Grabbing the objects I know will protect me, I strap them to my body and carry two knifes in my hands. Then I'm off. Sprinting.

Stamina training has its uses: now. My feet fly under me as I forget about the pounding of my heart and focus on my target. The explosions sounded like they came from the fields, through the canteen is quickest. I can see people in front of me already, racing to protect their own. The brunt of the defense base is behind me, hot on my heels.

Veering around a corner and bursting out of the doors, I enter a warzone.

Smoke chokes me within seconds. Dragging my t-shirt over my nose, I minimize my breathing as I take in the scene before me. Agony rips through my chest.

Three separate fires ravage the fields, each in place of the obvious explosions that went off. Shrapnel and rocks have made the territory uneven. What used to be a safe haven for the camp has transformed into hell with power as dictator.

In a split second, I'm thrust into the chaos of it all. It's easy to spot those who are not from Marchwood. I throw with my heart – knifes gliding through the air with as much precision as the bullets which whistle past me. The Pen has been brought to the camp, it's time to fight for our second victory as Defense leader.

I don't hold anything back. Every weapon that I brought from defense is used against someone. Panting, I duck under someones attack to jam a knife into their stomach, pulling it back. They crumple to the ground. Another one gone.

I spot Leonardo at the edge, pulling people down with shocking elegance. Elise is engaged in a hand to hand combat with a guy much larger than her. She's holding her own. Somehow, out of the corner of my eye, I see Evelyn wielding a knife like it's an extension of her hand. Their survival gives me the motivation to continue fighting.