I immediately narrowed my eyes and eyed him from head to toe. He wasn't injured which was good, that was one possibility crossed off my list. He did look tired though. His eyes has massive bags underneath which was surprising because I knew how much he loved his sleep.

“Nate, what is it?” I asked.

"I'm sorry for being a bit of a dick this past month," he said, running a hand through his hair.

I blinked, surprised by his sudden and rather unexpected apology. I should've been mad or at least a little upset, but his apology was sincere and I had missed him too much not to accept it. "Hey it's okay, everybody's allowed to be a little moody from time to time."

“I wasn't just being 'a little moody' though," Nate mumbled.

"What was it then?"

"There's something I've been hiding from you, Talia." He took a deep breath, "I... I’m moving.”

“What?” I asked again. "Moving, like, across town or something?"

He shook his head. "No, further away than that."

My eyes widened, "To a different state?" 

He opened his mouth to speak but I interrupted. "This is bad, but we can still make things work. We can write to each other, call, and Skype. Also, we can see each other during holidays!" I blabbered, "And if we're lucky, we can even go to the same college like we planned!"

He shook his head again, “No Talia, I'm not moving to a different state. I'm moving to a different country. I’m moving to England.”

I stared at him before laughing, “You’re kidding right? If you’re practicing for April fools then you’re going to have to try harder.”

Nate frowned at me, “No, I’m not kidding.”

My laughter immediately dried up and the panic finally started to settle in. “When?” I asked, my voice coming out croaky and strained.

“When, what?”

“When are you leaving?”

Nate chewed on his bottom lip anxiously, “Next week.”

"Wh-when did you find out you were leaving?" I stuttered.

He whispered something I couldn't hear.

"When did you find out you were leaving?" I asked again, taking a step back when he attempted to take a step closer.

"Three months ago," he whispered, this time a lot louder.

I blinked at him. "Three months ago?" I repeated, not believing the words that had come out of his mouth.

"I'm so sorry Talia, I was going to tell you but—"

“How could you hide that from me?” I asked, cutting him off. Those were the only words that came out of my mouth as I blinked at him, my mind suddenly going empty. "We're supposed to be best friends, Nate."

“I wanted to tell you but I didn't know how, so I just started distancing myself from you. I’m so sorry, I really am.”

I looked back up at him, my vision blurred from the tears. “Get out, Nate.”

“Don’t cry Talia, please, I’m sorry!” He said, looking distressed. "I know you're upset but it's not my choice, I didn't know how to tell you. I didn't want to ruin our last few months together!"

“You kept it from me," I breathed, staring at him through tear-filled eyes. "You knew this whole time and instead of telling me, you started ignoring me and pushing me away. We were supposed to be best friends, Nate. Didn’t I deserve to know?” I stared at him for a few seconds, before turning away and rushing up the stairs