Chapter 16

TALIAS POV

I trailed behind Sophie, glancing warily around the forest. It was getting darker and although I knew Josh and Nate weren't being serious about the bears there was a part of me that was still feeling dubious. 

"Can we go back now?" I asked, for the eighth time. We had been out here for at least half an hour now and we had got enough wood to keep the fire going for weeks. I just wanted to go back and eat some food, but Sophie had other ideas.

"Yeah, in a minute," she mumbled, continuing to wander through the forest, "I want to explore."

"Explore?" I repeated, pulling a face. "Explore what exactly, Soph? We're in a fucking forest, there is literally nothing here but trees! I want to go back, this is so boring and I'm cold. Do any of you even know how to cook? I'm starving. Can you please just hurry up."

Sophie spun around and glared at me, clearly very annoyed at this comment, "You know what Talia? Nate's right. All we're trying to do is make an effort with you. We are here in this forest because we want you to feel better. Yeah, a forest may not necessarily be your definition of fun but we're trying something new and who knows it could actually be pretty fun if you stopped complaining about it nonstop."

I opened my mouth to speak, slightly offended at the anger in her voice, "I'm not compl-"

"YES YOU FUCKING ARE COMPLAING!" She roared, stomping her foot on the ground.

I immediately closed my mouth and took a small step back, slightly scared for my own safety. As much as I loved Sophie, I did not love an angry Sophie. She was rarely ever moody or angry, but when she was you had to watch out. Even I, who had been her best friend for two years now, could not handle it.

"All we're trying to do is make you feel better. I mean I'm not exactly a camping kind of girl either, but at least I'm giving it a go. Do you have any idea how hard it is being friends with someone who is constantly being pessimistic about every single little thing?"

I wanted to shake my head and tell her she was wrong, that I wasn't the person she was describing but the look she was giving me told me to keep quiet.

"And Nate," Sophie began. "Poor Nate. He's been the one trying the hardest out of all of us. He's constantly looking out for you. Constantly trying to protect you and show you how sorry he is. Constantly trying to make you forgive him. "

At this point I knew I couldn't argue with her. As much as I wanted to a big part of me knew she was right. All the annoying little things he'd been doing were so he could get closer to me, so we could be friends again. He really was trying his best.

"And you? What've you done? Let me see," she paused. "You stole his car. Then you started a food fight at his house which resulted in him dropping a vase on his head. Then you let him fight your idiot of a boyfriend."

"I didn't mean for him to drop that vase on his head!" I protested. Although I had been the initial cause of the food fight, it wasn't my intention to make him end up in hospital. "And I didn't ask him to fight Liam either."

"I know you didn't mean it, but you still continued to treat him like crap afterwards! And he fought Liam because he really cares about you, can't you see that?" She took a deep breath, "I'm not trying to say you should be Little Miss Sunshine from now on or anything, all I'm asking is for you to be a little bit nicer and little bit more open minded. For all of us." Her voice softened, "for Nate."

In our two years of friendship Sophie and I had had many arguments. Shoes,  clothes, boys, you name it and we'd probably had an argument about it. But this was different, this wasn't like any of the other fights we had, we weren't trying to prove the other one wrong. This time I knew she was right and even if I had tried my hardest to argue back, I couldn't have.