Chapter One

Dean's POV

"Sammy!" I call out to my younger brother from the bathroom.

There's silence, no answer. I let out a grunt as I realize Sam left the motel to get food. I turn on the fossit and splash water on my face. The water drops trickle down my face in a way that calms me. I raise my face from the water to take a look at myself in the mirror. My heart stops when my eyes drift to a man behind me.

"Hello, Dean." He says.

"Cas! You gotta quit that, man!" I shake my head as I walk by him. He stops me by placing a single hand on my shoulder. His eyes pierce into mine looking corrupt.

"Sam is in trouble." His raspy voice cracks creating a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I turn to the angel giving him a troubled look.

"What are you talking about? He's out getting food."

I watch as his baby blue eyes sink to the ground. I grab the collar of his coat and slam him against the wall.

"Where the hell is he?" I spit in his face.

Cas' eyes meet mine not fazed by my sudden violent actions. He grits his teeth.

"Car accident. Dean, your brother is dead."

Sam is dead.

The thought sinks in. He can't be dead. My palms get sweaty and begin to shake out of control. My mind is filled with the idea of Sammy laying dead in the driver's seat. I let go of Cas and set him on the floor. My knees go weak and I drop to the floor. Tears pour down my cheeks in utter disbelief. This can't be possible. He couldn't have gone out in that way. If he were to die it would be in some heroic act. Not some car crash.

"Dean." Cas rests a hand on my back.

He begins shaking my body to make sure I'm okay. I'm anything but okay.

"Dean!" He shouts out once again.

I don't respond.

He continues calling out my name for what seemed forever. Then suddenly his voice slowly morphs into Sam's.

My body jolts foward and my surroundings have changed. Now I'm on a motel bed. Sam is shaking my body yelling my name. I focus on my brother and realize this isn't him. He looks like the Sam I dragged out of college to find dad. This Sam is 10 years younger than the one I know.

His features soften when I become aware of my surroundings

"Thank god! You're alive!" He lets out a sigh of relief. "I was this close to calling 911."

"Sammy?" I ask while touching his face to make sure he is in fact real.

He lets out an amused laugh.

"Uh-Dean. You sure you're okay?" His dimples pop out.

Then it hit me. I remember this day. It was that night after that bloody Mary hunt Sam and I did forever ago. Those were the days where life was easy. No angel and demon drama, no marks from biblical stories. It was simply find the bad thing, kill it, and if you're lucky run into a hot chic and get laid. I didn't realize it back then but life was good.

"Butterflies and rainbows." I sit up patting my brother's back.

"You should get some shut eye. Today was a long day." Sam brings me back down to sit on the bed.

"Already on it." I crash my head on a pillow pretending to go to bed.

Although Sam thinks I'm asleep I'm not. No matter how hard I try I can't fall asleep. I can't stop thinking if Sam actually is dead. He can't be. As I drift off to sleep in hopes of returning to the bathroom with Cas. Finally I'm out cold dreaming of a life other than my mine.