Not Who You Once Were

Start from the beginning

"You didn't need this job, doll. You didn't need Gotham. I had to show you that in the only way you'd see it." 

"No, don't you dare blame all that you've done on making me 'open my eyes'!" She shouted at him, for the first time in her life. She rose her voice at him. "This had nothing to do with me and you know that!" She pointed the gun at him as if to threaten him. He was silent. "You did this for  God knows why!" She once against lowered her weapon. "I don't know why you did all of this... I don't think I'll ever know." 

She knew she didn't have much time with him. Once the rest of her team showed up, they'd take The Joker away and she'd see him never again. 

And that's what broke her most. 

"What am I suppose to tell Rosie?" 

Jack furrowed his brows and looked away. 

"How am I suppose to tell our daughter that her father was an evil man who hurt and killed a lot of people?" _____ wiped her face, doing her best to seem strong against the devastation of her husband's actions. "How can I tell her that she'll never see you again?" 

"Evil.. is that what you think I am?" 

______ looked longingly at her husband, looking into his eyes, trying to find an ounce of the man she fell in love with. For a moment, she thought she found him. But it wasn't him. It was just Joker.

Just The Joker.

Jack blinked and continued to stare at her for a moment.

Evil. Was that what she thought of him? Evil? Did she not understand what all this was for?

To make Gotham better? Gotham might as well have been the scum of the earth. A dark place that deserved nothing more than to burn and to become ash.

So that's what he was doing.

Making it better-- wiping the slate clean so that it may start a new. How could she not see that?

They had been through Hell and they did so together. He knew she would never forget the sacrifices he made for her. And now for Rosie.

He knew that this may be the end of the line for him, that at the end of the night--

He wouldn't ever see his daughter again.

His sweet Rosie. His baby girl. The day she was born was the day he felt most human.

She was his world. Her smile light up the night sky. The world was a better place when she laughed. His sweet Rosie... Would she really see him as evil?

"You'll think of something.." Jack smirked at her. "You're quick witted. You're a smart girl-- you always were." He chuckled and let his gaze fall. The blood was rushing to his head and he wasn't sure if he'd pass out or not.

______ didn't say anything when the rest of her team joined by her side. They kept their aim on The Joker. Jack gazed at his wife, wondering what she'd do next. She just stared down at him, collecting herself and regaining her position. She kept her aim on him, her brows pinched into a furrow. He could see that the gears were turning in her head, possibly more than they had ever done before.

"You alright, Napier? Did the clown give you any trouble?" One of the officers, David Wilks, asked. He glanced at her, seeing the look on her face. She looked bothered, sick even. "Hey, _____. If you need to leave, you--"

A single shot to David's neck was enough to take him down.

When the first shot when off, the others turned towards the commotion. They were given the same treatment.