Chapter 2

~Ginger~

The sun bathed my skin, quickly warming me despite how cold I had been last night. I blinked the sleepiness out of my eyes and reached for my phone. 8:34, it read. Early, sure, but I wasn't about to complain. This was the fullest night of sleep I've gotten this month. I stretched and rolled out of bed - quite literally - and landed on the floor. Much as I didn't want to, I trudged upstairs. I knew Mom was making  pancakes, and she'd be real suspicious if I didn't come get any.

"Hey, Ginger. You're up early," Mom greeted from the kitchen. The smell of bacon made me almost want to eat. Not that I'd have a choice; if I didn't eat something, Mom would shove it down my throat. I shrugged in response. I pulled out my phone as I sat at the breakfast bar, waiting for the food to be done.

"Say, it'll be another twenty minutes or so before these are done; I just started. Why don't you head outside for a bit? It's nice out. I'll call you in when breakfast is ready." I wanted to protest, but her tone made it clear I wouldn't get a chance to decide for myself. I slipped my phone into the pocket of my hoodie and stepped outside, the cool grass tickling my bare feet. I walked over to the treehouse. I hadn't been there in forever, but something pulled me there. After unrolling the ladder, I climbed up. As I pulled myself into the structure, I was pleased to see it was still intact. The smell of the surrounding pine trees gave me a sense of calmness, just as it always had. The energy of this place was odd; soothing, but odd. It was as if someone else was here. The thought of it sent shivers down my spine.

Ignoring my paranoia, I laid down on my back, staring up at the slanted ceiling. I saw the small scraping Chloe and I had made years ago. Our initials, G.G. and C.R. Things were so much better back then. Why couldn't they've stayed like that?

I sighed. "I miss you, Chlo," I whispered, tears pricking my eyes.

"I miss you too." My eyes widened. Was I officially going crazy? She's dead, she can't be talking to me. I shot up, wanting to believe the impossible. And right there, dangling her feet over the edge of the treehouse, was Chloe.