0.05

september 9, 1996

Professor Snape announced that the students were to pair off and attempt nonverbal spells. Hermione watched, unenthusiastically, as Ron and Harry began pestering her, then went at each other. Hermione backed away from them as both cried that they needed her help. She wished them good luck and approached Neville, who sat alone and had yet to find a partner.

"Neville," Hermione greeted him, "All right, then?"

Neville turned at the sound of her voice, a smile over his lips as he replied. "'Mione, I reckon you will have much more luck at this than I will. You might need to find another partner."

"Oh don't be nervous, Neville," Hermione cheered for him, "You'll be great. Plus, everyone else is already partnered."  After a bit more coercing Hermione had convinced Neville to pair with her and they joined the other students. With half the class on on side and half the class on the other, partners stood about ten feet away from each other. Hermione smiled at Neville, who looked pale and a little afraid. "Alright, Neville, why don't you give it a go. I'll deflect it if I need."

Neville's wand raised and his face distorted with focus.

Hermione watched him politely. She glanced down the row of students and, at the very end, Harry and Ron stood with their faces scrunched and confused. Hermione stood a little straighter, glancing back at a Neville who still looked confused and constipated. She looked to the other side of the classroom.

At the opposite end of partners, Draco had paired with Blaise. The two Slytherin's stood ten feet apart and Blaise, who stared Draco down, looked hungry. What a prick,  Draco thought to himself as he stared back. Blaise's upper lip curved into a smirk as he glanced around, eyes landing on Snape.

"Professor," Blaise called with enthusiasm, "come to see the show?" Not only was Blaise an ass, but he was also a suck-up. Draco knew Blaise wanted to see him humiliated. Blaise was cunning and deceitful, but he covered it so well. Truthfully, they were quite alike.

Draco felt the heat rise to his cheeks and, out of his peripheral vision, saw the movement of Snape's hideous cloak.

"Of course," Snape droned, "Anything to see two Slytherin's excel."

Just hours before, Snape and Draco stood just like this. At six in the morning, Snape had lured Draco into his office, where he silently moved tables and shelves of potions out of the way, with only a flick of his wand. Snape had slugged hexes at him until he had sweat through his dress shirt, blonde hair a mess against his forehead. 

"Enough!"  Draco had yelled back at Snape after one of his professor's jinx had struck him at his feet, sending him flatly to the floor. His elbows would be bruised, if they weren't already. 

"If you cannot handle this, you haven't a single clue what is coming to you, you fool." 

"You're supposed to be protecting me. Helping me. Not taking your anger out on me." 

"You dare speak to me like that? After the sacrifices I've gifted to you. Get up, child. Get up. We still have work to do."  

Snape told Draco it was for his own good. This was the only way to learn. Told him that this was the only way to survive. Told him–

"Mister Malfoy," Snape's voice yanked Draco from his memories. Draco met his gaze and could tell that his professor was still enraged with him. "Go on then."

Draco's feet were glued to the floor. He swallowed, feeling the pain from this morning resurface and rise into his stomach. His focus darted from Snape to Blaise, then back again. The students nearest to the pair had stopped trying and begun watching the scene that Blaise had caused.