viii. salad days are gone

THIS IS FOR THE THINGS THAT THEY HOLD DEAR, TO CLUTCH FOR THE ACHE THAT HAS FADED INTO GOLD '17

ember's house happened to be the third place we went that day, after school and the grocery store.

katniss & i were counting dollars on the way to get there. gigi with her phone, mara was engaged in swallowing the fresh air, eccentric midtown boys dressed in a bubble reputation, and thanks to anyone that has never disturbed the tranquillity of myrtle's life.

spider webs throughout the mahogany shelves, i ran my fingers to dust the shaky seat. i observed the neglected furniture, from the chairs got tripped over, comb on the kitchen table, dishes left untouched, to the dirt and hair strings on the tiles. i didn't mean to be rude, but the view made me feel uneasy.

suddenly, a boisterous voice broke the silence. i held my chest tightly, startled by the silhouette i just saw across the room.

gigi's body jolted in surprise whilst myrtle just shifted her position a bit, glancing at the young tall boy's figure.

"excuse my brother's manner, he gets cranky sometimes," ember cracked up a bit.

mara eyed the short figure in front of her, "we didn't know you had a brother"

the opposite girl leaned in, "some things are better left unsaid." "i'll check on him, in case he gets frantic," the chubby girl exited the room.

"she's going to lock him up there," katniss muttered. mara rolled her eyes unbelievable, "this is wild"

a click sound followed by a scream echoed the near-empty space. ember slammed the door shut and grinned at us, "let's start the project now, shall we?"

six of us were hanging out inside your dad's car, whilst the boys were playing the guitar.

"c'mon turn the ac on, it's boiling down here," we requested.

then ember started the engine

the car smelled queer, like any common citrus, it has an upbeat and cheerful scent popular as the reminiscent of summer and warm weather — which is on the contrary with the current weather, cloud grey and black.

everything was as going until we heard the high-pitch noise of the gate being opened.

freak suddenly rose up like a water fountain, and we were settling there like the coins you used to throw "for god's sake, it must be my sister. she's going to reveal my wrong-doing right after she discovers us here," said ember as she guided her index finger to her lips, instructing us to keep it low.

i recall when mara's heart caught the flame, it kissed her organ and spread the blaze.

kai's fingers brushed her purple veins, thus her face was flushed in red.

i had warned her that his jagged edges would leave her bruised

yet, she took a dip in his ocean vein.

dreamy girls shed the bitterest tears over their boys' false beliefs because everyone was competing for the love they wouldn't achieve. melted dreams, heart on one's sleeve, forlorn glances, and a closet of forbidden memories.

well, since they both laughed, sweetheart, it's all right. (the salad days are no longer here anyway)

december '17, right 6 in the evening.

there was a storm brewing and we were chasing shadows in ember's garage.

toes polished in bold red,

the smell of cheap fragrant you got when everything was put on sale,

and how you confide to the hum of persuasion.

"kai and i are going to cross the road," ben insisted while unlacing his shoes and kicking those off.

"go ahead, just be certain not to get killed"

do you still remember the texture of wet tar you once tripped over?

what about the glittery bandage,

dirt on your polo shirt,

the traffic light as you waited impatiently - counting to ten,

holy water in the palm of your hand,

our tiny concert on christmas with the ridiculous amount of red?

our dear little fortune that has grown into a fine young man

and the way your little brother checked your pulse and wondered why the tone of your voice always remain the same

"i reckon it feels the same. like nothing is out of place like everything occurs for the best," ember muttered. "they treat me like a class clown. well, it doesn't sound flowery - but i guess, their wicked game isn't something new. i'm getting used to it," she gave us a mirthless smile.

"i've have wondered 'bout how the rest are doing. why they avoid the conversation and their 'oh, i'm fine' replies," katniss conveyed her concern.

myrtle stepped forward and looked up at the ceiling, "sometimes i think that's better to never ask why," she pursed her lips.

"to ever be worried whether we might've ruined it, and does it make you want to weep or not," she added.

13, LIVIN' IN A TOWN OF WONDER ALONG WITH YOU.