bonus: heavenly moment

Start from the beginning

Luna sighed, dragging her hand through the water. "I just don't think it was my time to leave Earth yet. There's so much more I wanted to say and do. Now I'll never get the chance." He frowned.

Her father's frown turned upwards a little at something appearing above her head. "I beg to differ." She looked up at him and arched her brow, silently asking him to explain. "Above your head."

Above Luna's head was a live video that showed Ricky, her mother, and Gina hovering over her body. They were gently shaking her, calling out her name, trying to coax her back to life. Ricky further said, "Luna, please come back. Please let it work. I need you."

Hearing her boyfriend's voice brought a smile to her face. It felt like a whole life time since she had heard it. The desperation and urgency in his voice though made her heart break at the same time. They were begging for her to come back. Luna wasn't oblivious to the fact that Ricky had a hospital gown on instead of his usual clothes. She knew he had done something for her, something she wouldn't know until she came back.

"H-How could I even go back? My days are gone. There's no way," Luna explained, looking back at her father for answers.

He wasn't sure either. Mr. Crawford had heard of people coming back from the dead after a few minutes if the hospital staff was able to save them in time. Maybe his daughter could be one of those people too. "Do you feel anything? Like a change in sensation in any part of your body? Or like something is pulling you?" He interrogated.

Her face twisted in confusion, not feeling anything he just described. Suddenly, it hit her. She felt a tingling in her left wrist, but she was also aware of her heart beating slowly in her chest. Luna Crawford's heart seemed to be beginning to beat again. Very faintly and slowly. The sensations spread throughout her entire body.

"Yes! Yes! Dad, I feel my heart beating a bit, and my wrist is tingling, almost as if it is healing from something! I think I could go back," she smiled.

Her father matched her smile, "What are you waiting for, Lu? Go back! Go see your friends and Ricky again!"

Her smile faltered. "But what about you?"

"Oh honey, I'll be okay. I'll see you again— but this time it'll be after you've lived a long and happy life. You will then fill me in on everything you've accomplished and all of your great memories and travels," he assured her, pulling her into a hug.

"I'll miss you," she sighed, hugging him back tightly. "I promise I'll come back and tell you everything, okay?"

"I'll be looking forward to it. Look out for your mom, okay? And hold onto Ricky. He's a good kid. I approve of him," her father winked. Luna rolled her eyes with a smile.

"Will do. I love you, Dad."

He squeezed her hand, urging her to go back already. "I love you too, Lu. I'll be watching over you. Now go on before I change my mind on letting you go," he chuckled.

She let out a small laugh, leaving her face with a wide smile. "Goodbye," she whispered, giving in to the pulling sensation in her body.

Luna's eyes closed, and she felt her body go weightless. Steven Crawford watched as his daughter's body disappeared from in front of him. He felt a tear slip down his cheek. He would be sad to let her go once again. But ultimately, he was happy that she got the second chance at life that she deserved. He had great faith that his daughter would go on to do many marvelous things— she was just getting started. Her wonderful life was just beginning.

Luna felt her body get heavy again, instantly feeling people holding her hands, shaking her ever so gently. The sound of the heart monitor beginning to turn to a steady beep filled her ears, along with the soft voices of her mother, best friend, and boyfriend.

Her eyelids were heavy, but she managed to lift them open enough to see the bright light above her. Luna let out a soft sigh as the light was covered by someone's head being moved in front of it.

"Luna?" Ricky called out with a hopeful smile. She nodded weakly, so relieved to have made it back.

"Can't get rid of me that easily," she replied hoarsely with a smile, closing her eyes for a brief moment. The three people all let out happy little laughs, smiling brightly at having Luna back in their lives.

Ricky smiled the biggest. "Luna, don't you dare leave me like that again." She squeezed his hand, rolling her head to the side to look at him individually. "I love you, Lu," he said, brushing some hair out of her face.

"I love you too, Ric. Forever." Luna smiled back, leaning into his touch. She was so thankful to be back with them, but also grateful to have seen and talked to her dad once more.