𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐮𝐜𝐤𝐲 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬 | 𝟎𝟏

𝐋𝐨𝐨𝐤, 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞 months, they tried to get us to believe our dad was dead. They said we were in denial.

Whatever.

Denial's underrated. You should try it sometime. It's highly effective, and it's only denial if you're wrong.

It just doesn't make any sense. My dad is the last guy who would ever get lost at sea. This compass coming back to us—our father's compass, which was passed down for generations—it's a sign.

My dad's still alive. And we're gonna find him.

☼☼☼

When I wake up the next morning, I find both John B and the scuba gear gone. Walking into the kitchen, I see a note on the counter.

Taking the scuba gear back to the Cameron's.

Be back in a little.

-JB

I'm surprised that John B got up before me, but I'm not surprised that he took the scuba gear back for me. He's the only one who knows what happened between Rafe and me two years ago. He's also the only person I've told about running into Rafe the other day. Even though JJ doesn't know why I hate Rafe so much, he knows that the reason for my hatred happened while I was friends with Sarah. And because I hate Rafe, JJ hates him even more than he already did. While I haven't told him about bumping into Rafe, I figure he'll eventually find out about it. I just don't know if it'll be me he hears it from.

After deciding I have nothing better to do at the moment, I pick up the book I've been reading for the past week and take it with me to the front porch. A few minutes later, JJ drives up on his dirt bike. I set my book down next to me—only a couple pages further into it—before walking over to him, stopping a few inches away and leaning on the handles of the bike.

"Hey, freckles," he greets as he pulls his helmet off and shakes his head to mess his hair up.

"Hey," I say as JJ reaches his hand out to tussle my hair. I smack his hand away, not wanting my hair to get messed up, even though it's already ratty and knotted from sleeping on it. "What're you doing here so early? It's not even six," I ask, a smile playing on my lips as I secretly admire his ability to look so good this early in the morning. Shut up, Y/n, you're not supposed to think that.

"Uh, I needed to get out of the house." JJ takes a deep breath before letting it out, his eyes not quite meeting mine.

"Your dad?" I ask, a frown quickly replacing my smile.

"Yeah." He nods his head before swinging his leg over the bike and leaning on the side of it.

"Do you wanna talk about it or no?"

"I just don't really wanna think about him right now."

"Alright. I can work with that. Come on," I say as I stand up straight and reach my hand out, palm up. He stares at it for a second before slowly placing his hand in mine.

"What are we doing?" he asks hesitantly, his brow quirked in skepticism.

"You'll see." I quickly look down to make sure he's wearing shorts, and I'm not surprised to find that he is. Good.

"Where are you taking me?" JJ laughs as I tug on his arm, pulling him inside the house.

"Just come on. You'll see for yourself." Once we get inside, I let go of his hand and walk into the kitchen. Grabbing the cooler, I throw some snacks and some bottles of beer into it.