{2⁶} {FAIRY TALES}

Start from the beginning

The Winter Soldier slowly stood up, his metal arm gleaming in the light, wearing bug-eyed goggles and a black mask perfectly moulded to his face. Natasha brought out a gun just as Roxi heard the engine coming up behind them. She opened her mouth to shout a warning, but it wasn't quick enough. The vehicle rammed the back on the car they were in, causing Natasha to drop her pistol and Roxi's quarterstaff, still just the handle, to be jolted from her hand into the front of the car. She dropped the sheet of metal with a slight clang, and grabbed one of the pistols from inside her jacket. The Winter Soldier leapt on top of the car, landing with a bang and a crash as the glass splintered and shattered into crystalline sand. Sam slammed on the breaks and for a moment they slowed down until the Winter Soldier's metal arm crashed through the windshield and ripped the steering wheel out of the dashboard. 

"Shit!" Sam yelled as both Natasha and Roxi aimed their guns at the Soldier. Natasha's didn't hit him, and Roxi's deflected off his metal arm, causing her to let out a curse. The car continued onwards, veering and swerving from left to right until the army vehicle once again slammed into the back of the car, causing Roxi to jolt forwards and slam her head off of the head rest in front. She swore again as an ache started up, and fumbled with the pistol. The car was pushed to the side and tilted as it came in contact with the barrier at the side of the road, before crashing back down with a thud. Steve fought to get his shield ready as Roxi called forwards

"Sam! Pass me that," gesturing to her quarterstaff. A moment later, the car slammed into another barrier and Steve pulled Roxi forwards roughly as he protected them all with his shield. The car flipped over and soared through the air as Steve slammed the car door out from beneath them and they all landed with a heavy thud on the road, skidding along for a moment on the ruined metal. Sam, who was the furthest away, quickly grabbed the black cylinder and looked at it, confused for a moment before he threw it at her as the three of them scrambled up from the ground. She grabbed it out of the air, quickly pressing the button that caused the rest of the quarterstaff to shoot out, and batted the first RPG out of the air as it flew towards them, fired by the Winter Soldier. He fired another one in quick succession as Sam gaped at Roxi, and it landed on Cap's shield, who was blown backwards with such force that he skidded over the roof of a car and off the motorway bridge. Natasha, Roxi and Sam (who had rushed to join them) sheltered from the downpour of bullets behind the cars that lay freshly abandoned on the street. Roxi quickly hung her quarterstaff from her belt again so it would be easier to use her pistols, which she pulled out, and started shooting with at the HYDRA agents.

A grenade exploded a couple of feet away from Roxi, and she was thrown over the barrier onto the other side of the road, where Natasha quickly joined her, much more elegantly. Roxi got up quickly, sprinting after the redhead as they dodged bullets and RPGs. One of the grenades hit a car that they'd ran behind, and the pair of them were blown off the bridge onto the road below. For a moment Roxi's free fall and her heart lurched horribly, until Natasha grabbed her with one hand as she fired a grappling hook at the underside of the bridge, causing them to swing to the ground safely. Roxi, being lower down, had had to let go and roll on impact with the ground because she was lower than the redhead, who timed it perfectly, letting go and sprinting away, quickly joined by Roxi, who'd always been a fast runner.

"This is going well," she called as they ran.

"Yeah, perfectly," Natasha called back, slightly breathlessly. The redhead stopped upon seeing the shadows cast down from the top of the bridge, and grabbed Roxi's wrist and pulled her back under shelter. Roxi stumbled for a moment and cursed herself for not being more attentive. Natasha gestured to the pair of pistols which lay in her grip, and Roxi nodded silently. Carefully, the pair took aim, and fired up at the people on the bridges. She managed to hit a few HYDRA agents, as Natasha's bullets glanced off the Soldier's arm and deflected into the others. The two of them ran forwards while he was gone from sight, taking shelter feet from each other, Natasha behind a lorry, Roxi in between it and a car that sat to its left. A split second later, the Winter Soldier emptied his magazine at the spot where the two had been moments before. Both of them fired at him once again, never actually landing a hit. Roxi probably would've used her powers to help control the path of the bullets, but she couldn't do much with bullets yet; she'd tried, and on top of that, she was still hurt, as her aching head and stinging back were happy to remind her, and it'd been a while since she'd got some sleep. The night before Natasha had called her had been one of her bad nights, and she'd woken up shaking, tears that she didn't want to fall streaking down her face, and her breath coming out in short, sharp bursts as she peeled off her covers and sat down on the cool, wooden floor. That wasn't helping now.