Chapter 1

"Guys, make sure to get enough rest before the competition, alright?" Mr. Im, your math teacher, tells the group, handing you all your keycards.

Summer had just begun but there was barely any difference. For a mathlete like yourself, summers were also spent in school, but it wasn't mandatory to go to school every single day. You didn't love math like the other kids, you just wanted to make your parents proud in some way and you hated the idea of staring idly at nothing all summer anyway.

Which is pretty ironic since you and your roommate Shuhua were bored after having finished unpacking your luggage, waiting for Mr. Im to give instructions for the next two weeks you'll be staying in Tokyo.

Shuhua—probably your only close friend since certain things had happened. She's the one who stuck beside you during those traumatic months.

Oh, and of course, you won't be focusing only on maths for the whole stay.

That's atrocious.

The competition takes place on the fifth day of the first week, Mr. Im just wanted you all to spend time with each other since most of the time you're with one another, you're all just cooped up in a classroom, answering math problems.

You had no complaints about it; it was one way to not have your summer be ruined by boredom, so you try to look past the competition. But there's nothing denying that loud echo in the back of your head, tantalizing you. The scary feeling of sitting on the stage with a long page of equations in front of you was definitely nerve-racking.

"Yena, do you have an extra pair of socks I could use?" Shuhua, one of your closest friends in the group, pops her head out of the bathroom, a face mask plastered on her face.

"In the drawer over there," you say as you point to the dresser in front of her, your eyes not leaving the screen of your phone.

"Hua," you call out to her before she goes back in, "keep the socks."

"Thank you, Yena," she says almost mockingly, sending you a wink and you roll your eyes playfully.

"Well, I'm heading downstairs. Call me if you need me." Pulling your hair into a quick and easy messy bun, you grabbed your bag which held your study material, wanting to get started on your review at the small cafe (more like lounge) in the lobby.

So you went on your not-so-jolly way to the elevator and down to the cafe, immediately choosing a comfortable seat to sit on for the rest of the afternoon. Ordering a drink the moment you sat down, you brought out the things you needed like your unnecessarily heavy math book and a few pens and papers.

You knew you were going to spend a while in there, so you gave yourself a few minutes to look around the place, watching as the people walk by. Fortunately, you had almost no one in the cafe with you, giving you more chances to focus. But as you continued to scope out the place, your gaze paused on one particular guy, one who looked just a few years older than you. He had anime-like features and a slim physique, and his fashion sense wasn't terrible, but wasn't over the top.

Nevertheless, you had to drive your attention away, going back to your load of exercises you had to complete for the day.

Why can't the boys in school look like that...

——

You sighed, feeling tremendously tired. Finally, you were done with the pack of exercises for that day, and you were desperate to get back to your room. You sipped clean the remaining of your coffee before leaving the lobby, skipping through the groups of people waiting for a room.

You waited as the elevator passed each level, stopping at the 35th floor. With an automated voice announcing the level, you stepped out, but fell back a little due to almost bumping into the person waiting outside.

"Sorry," you mumble, looking up to give him a smile, only to see the guy from earlier.

He himself looked slightly caught off guard before he blinked rapidly, returning a polite smile.

"No worries," he comments, stepping to the side and letting you pass. Bringing your head down to bow a little, you quickly left to your room, seeing Shuhua dead on her bed.

Dead asleep.

Calm down.

"Yena, Mr. Im was looking for you earlier," Shuhua informs you, standing up from the small desk chair in the corner.

"Yeah?"

"He's in Room 3506," she continues, handing you a granola bar that she's always got stuffed in her purse.

"Thanks," you bite on the bar, quickly heading out of the door to knock on Mr. Im's.

Okay, I lied when I said Shuhua was your only close friend because you'd consider Mr. Im as one too.

Frankly, you had been close with Mr. Im ever since you were a kid, mainly because he was your best friend's dad, and you went over to their house quite often. He also kept in touch with your parents frequently, so there's that.

And even after that incident happened, your relationship with Mr. Im never really faltered.

"Ah, Yena, I was looking for you. Just wanted to talk to you about something."

"Yeah, what is it?"

"I know you focus a lot on your studies, but there's another reason why I brought you here, Yena," he starts, leaning on the doorframe.

"Yes, yes. I know I'm your favourite student."

"Okay, a little bold but true. But also because ever since last February, you haven't really made any new friends," says Mr. Im, looking a little worried. "Try to socialize a bit more, yeah?"

"Hm, alright," you hum as you were on the same page as him anyway.

Let's just say you've been sensitive ever since, not extremely, but just a little scared of losing loved ones even more than ever. And it saddens you until this day that people immediately spread false rumors about you and your best friend without knowing the context of the situation, which ultimately led to people staying away from you. The only student who ever stood by your side was Shuhua as she knew you weren't what everyone assumed you were.

Even Mr. Im got some black looks around the time, but obviously, you couldn't avoid a teacher you listen to everyday.

So you opted for just complete ignorance, blocking out all the people who chose to judge you before trying to understand the full situation, and it's clearly not the best option, but you didn't know what to do at the time.

so yes
it's not the best, but this is just a little introduction to how the character's like
i promise the following chapters won't be this boring 😐

but yeah
i rlly hope u'd enjoy this book as much as i enjoyed planning it :))

and like my other book, altho this is in the second person's pov, i put a name in there bc y/n is-

y/n just ain't it

oh and to those who read my last book and had been waiting (highly doubt), lemme just say sorry for taking so long :((

writer's block is not fun at all 🤠