Chapter 3

. Please listen to the song throughout the chapter, thank you .

A T H E N A

"Dangerous love, you're no good for me darling. Yeah you turn me away like I'm begging for a dollar"

° ° °

Still, in shock about what happened, Chris drags me across the room to my parents. He's here. Vincenzo's here. And I danced with him.

Fuck, the way he looked at me, how he gripped me by my waist, reminding me of how it used to be between us. I subtly look around the room, trying to find him but fail. He hasn't changed a lot. His stubble has just grown a little which I find myself liking a bit. And his hair is slightly longer but not like it's noticeable.

But you noticed.

I don't notice all the people we talk to, actually, Chris is the one that talks and the time flies by without me noticing it.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by my mom who comes walking over to me. "Athena! They're looking for you, honey. You should get backstage," she says excitedly and grabs my hand softly in hers. "What?" I mumble confused.

She glances at me over her shoulder. "You're going to sing, remember?"

Shit.

That's right. I have to sing. In front of Vincenzo.

The thought just causes more nerves to grow. What if I fail? What if everyone starts booing? He'll get to see my embarrassment and start laughing along with all the people. Mom opens a thick, red curtain and we walk through it.

We're in a small room where only a couple of people are standing in – some with headphones that are talking while walking around the room, and then some who are standing around a beautiful black woman with short, black hair – and there's a little staircase at the other side of the room.

"That's the stair to go on stage," mom whispers in my ear.

The woman walks in our direction with a friendly look on her face.

"Hi, I'm Gabriella. You're the one I'm going to sing with?" she asks me when she arrives. I part my lips, but my mom responds for me.

"Yes, she's the one. She has a beautiful voice," mom says proudly. "I'm Athena," I introduce myself and stick my hand out for her. She accepts it and smiles at me while we shake hands. "Nice to meet you, Athena," she smiles.

"Likewise."

I fiddle with my fingers nervously in front of me, and Chris squeezes my waist. "Relax, Athena," he whispers to me. Gabriella sees it, and smiles softly. "Are you nervous?" she asks and kindly puts a hand on my shoulder. I press my lips together and nod. "Very," I answer and sigh deeply.

"Don't worry, my dear. Everything's going to be fine, and I'll be there with you," she smiles and takes her hand off of me. We walk a little further into the room, and a man walks up to us.

"You have to be on stage in a few minutes, get ready," he tells the woman and glances at my mom, Chris and I. "Who's accompanying Gabriella?" he asks, and I shakily raise my hand. "Me," I answer and take a step forward.

He nods. "Alright, you follow Gabriella," he says and flashes me a smile before walking off into another room. Mom turns to look at me.

"We have to go, but we're going to stand right before the stage, alright? I'm so proud of you because you're going to nail it," she smiles and presses a kiss against my cheek. She walks out of the room, leaving only me and Chris.