Bruised and Scarred

I would’ve never believed it to be true if I wasn’t there to witness it. Witnessing that horrible fantasy was unbelievable, I hated every minute of it, but somehow, I still wish to relive it over and over again. It was my last moment, my last breath; I will never forget the look on his face right as the fierce, burning sensation reached my body. My last sight was of his beautiful face, looking as if an apology so large raged in his mind. My last sound was of my bones cracking under the intense pressure, and my last breathe was filled with the smoke and debris from my surroundings. But, my last words were what hurt the most, the words that crept from my mouth just as I hit the ground, exhaling the remaining strength in my body. The powerful words I whispered silently, “I love you.”  I thought that when I said those three, small, meaningful words, I would be filled with happiness; instead I was filled with sorrow, filled with the never ending sleepless dream we call death.

I lay there as if inert, limp and hopeless, I couldn’t bear the pain. Suddenly I felt relief. No pain, no sound, just peace. The lights then went dim, then pitch, and a staircase so grand and so bright suddenly appear before me. I turned around behind me, for a quick last glimpse of my past. I then saw memories flash before me, memories of the best times of my life. It was so hard to resist turning back to my life. Then, as I was about to turn my head back forward, I saw my last memory, what made all of this happen. The crash, my boyfriend in the front seat, the driver of the larger truck. Then, the explosion of the vehicle and my limp body flying through the wind shield. That last moment made me change my mind. I was going to do what no other human has done before; resist the light and turn back to life. As I started to shift my body backwards, I tripped over what I thought may have been air. But, when I turned it around, I realized that I was walking the stairway to heaven the whole time; and I was in the doorway of an irresistible, bright and shining light. I then knew I was going to heaven, and as much as I feared leaving, I could never go back.