004. rough times ; parts one & two

Start from the beginning

Everyone started to murmur angrily in agreement, causing Korra to groan with annoyance. "All Unalaq is trying to do is make our tribes unified again."

"No! He wants control of our wealth. My wealth. And I like my wealth! If Unalaq doesn't pull his forces out, then we have no choice but to fight for our freedom!" He pumped his fists in the air again and everyone shouted, "Yeah!" in agreement.

She scoffed, "You want to start a war? Are you crazy?"

"Korra, there's no reason that his troops needs to make Southern's lives miserable," I asserted with folded arms. "He started this, not us."

"Katrina's right," Dad concurred, standing up. "Maybe you could speak with your uncle. Tell him how frustrated we all are. Do it for me?"

"I'll do it for the tribe," she muttered bitterly as she turned around and walked out, slamming the door behind her.

♢        ♢        ♢

I slumped back onto the couch after everyone left, letting out a small tired sigh as I eyed over at Mom, who had a surprised face as she held up a now-empty cookie platter. "I can't believe he ate all of these," she whispered in bewilderment, making me form a small smile.

I raised an eyebrow as someone suddenly knocked at the front door. Mom called from the kitchen, "Katrina, can you get that?"

Humming in response, I carefully got up and opened the door which revealed to be Iroh, who had worn his typical black trenchcoat accustomed to the freezing temperatures of the South.

With a flustered yelp at his unexpected visit, I quickly slammed the door—ignoring his confused noise coming from outside and hurriedly ran to the nearest mirror, checking my appearance. "Oh, what am I doing? I always look good." I scolded to myself with an obvious scoff, running back to the front entrance.

"Hi, Iroh!" I greeted with a grin, opening the door fully to a raised brow firebender.

"Should I even question why it seemed like two different people had opened the door just now?"

"Oh, just come in!" I insisted with bottom lips jutting out, pulling his arm inside the hut. As I gestured him into the living room, Mom popped her head from the kitchen's entrance with a wide smile and exclaimed, "General Iroh! What a pleasure having you here!"

His eyes perked up, quickly bowing down with deference. "Thank you for letting me in your humble home."

She bowed her head along with him, stealing a teasing glance at me before straightening. "Of course, of course! Make yourself at home, alright? Say, Katrina, why don't you make Iroh some tea or—"

I erupted into small nervous laughter, quickly clutching a hand on her shoulder as I eyed the firebender. "Uh, if you can excuse us for just a moment!"

Sending a sheepish smile towards Iroh once more, I hurriedly pushed my mother into the kitchen, baffled. "Mom, please tell me you were joking. Make tea?! He's not some potential suitor wanting my hand in marriage, we're just friends!"

Her bottom lip jutted out, lightly smacking my arm with the beige dishcloth in her hand causing me to yelp. "I obviously know that! Making tea for a guest is just for politeness! Kids this days. . ."

"Well, kids these days don't make tea, Mom." I explained with a bright grin, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. "They wait until their friend starves to hunger to the point they or you ask if the two of you want go out and eat, hence a perfect opportunity for a date!"