Chapter 4

Damian

When I walked into the hospital room and heard her speak, I knew I instantly messed up. From the minute I met her I knew she was different. And when she walked back over to her uncles side, I knew she wasn't paying attention to anything but him. And when the monitor started beeping faster and louder, and the doctors pushed her aside. I watched the heartbreak, and fear cloud her eyes, as she slid down the wall and covered her ears. Tears running down her face.
Over the week, I watched from afar. She didn't leave the room unless she went to the bathroom. She didn't eat, or sleep. And I got even more worried. I talked to Dick about what was going on with me. All these emotions were new to me. His response was a small smile.
"Your letting someone in." Was all he said.
And when I saw her on the roof. I nearly collapsed. She looked ready to jump, but when she sat down. I knew she wasn't going to. She was so strange. For a girl that just got kicked out of her home, she didn't seem all that concerned about that. But her uncle was in the hospital and she wasn't taking care of herself. Jon and I have talked and we both want to help her. Her blue eyes were full of pain. And she didn't smile. She was closed off. Just like him.

Marinette

Damian stayed with Penny and I at the hospital. Jon brought us our homework from school. But I didn't do it. Damian made sure I at least took a nap and ate at least an apple. Kara and MonEl dropped by to check on me but they didn't stick around. Jagged flatlined three times in the past three weeks. Penny was already a month into her pregnancy. Her morning sickness had started a few days ago, and I was struggling to do anything.
Some days, I just cry and cry and cry till I can't anymore. Others, I sit in silence and watch the city.
"How you doing Mari?" Penny asked as she sat next to me.
"Not so good." I said honestly. "You?"
She was silent. "I've been better. My hormones are a mess and I can't even imagine him not waking up. Or watching the baby grow up without him." She whispered.
I gently held her hand.
"I hope your right and he wakes up." I whispered. "I can't live without him. You guys are the only family I have left."
"You can't get rid of me that easily."
Both of us turned so fast to the voice of the one person we have been waiting to hear. Both of us quickly moved to hug him. His arms wrapping around us.
"Your awake." I whispered in relief.
"Where's Fang?" He asked, his voice hoarse.
I giggled and wiped my eyes. "He's at an old friend of yours. He volunteered to house him."
"How long?" He asked as Penny handed him a glass of water.
"A month." We whispered.
"Have you eaten Mari?" He asked giving me a pointed look.
"No. But Damian and Penny have been making sure I at least have an apple and nap."
"What are you doing in Gotham?" Jagged asked
"I-I'm visiting my godmother." I said. Not a complete lie. He raised an eyebrow. "Fine. Mama and papa kicked me out." I sighed and held his hand. "You scared me to death, Jagged. I can't lose you." I whispered.
His hand gripped mine back, just as hard.
"I'm not going anywhere." He stated, before pulling me into a hug. And I cried in relief. His hands trailing in my hair. "Your the closest thing I have to a daughter. There is no way I'm leaving just yet."
"The your going to love this piece of news." Penny said as she grabbed Jagged's hand and placed his on her slightly swollen belly. "We're going to have a baby."
I watched as both of them smiled, before Jagged started to cry and pulled Penny in for a kiss.
"I'm gonna be a dad!" He shouted.
I smiled and laughed loudly, wiping my tears away in the process. And just like that relief turned into exhaustion. I gently laid down next to Jagged and curled into his side, before I fell asleep.

Jagged

I'm gonna be a dad.
I looked down at a sleeping Marinette, and smiled. When the door opened I looked up and saw a dark skinned, green eyed teen.
"Who are you?" I asked whispering so I don't wake Mari.
"Damian. Why are we whispering?" He asked
"Marinette is asleep." I said back.
He smiled before he walked over. "Glad your awake. She's been going crazy since she got the call."
I chuckled dryly. "Sounds like Mari. She said you made sure she ate and slept. I owe you one. She makes sure everyone else is ok but doesn't take care of herself."
"I heard her talking to you, while you were out. She said that you stayed with her when she was in the hospital, she wasn't going to leave your side till you woke up. She barely left the room, let alone the hospital." He looked at the sleeping Marinette and smiled sadly. "She is stronger then she realizes."
I watched the kid closely, before turning to Penny. "I approve."
Penny laughed loudly, and I smiled. "I do to."
We turned to Damian, who looked lost on all of this. I rolled my eyes and sighed. Being in a coma is tiring. I closed my eyes and smiled.
"I'm gonna kill her parents." I whispered
"No your not. She still has to deal with Hawkmoth, and we're not adding that to her mental health right now." Penny scolded.
Sighing dramatically, I looked at the door and waited for it to open again. It did a few minutes later.
"Good to see your awake." The Doctor said with a smile. "Your very lucky." I saw him look at Marinette and smile sadly. "She finally sleeps."
I nodded. "This isn't the first time something old this has happened. Her friend Chloé got in an accident similar to mine and was out for three months. I had to give her melatonin to help her sleep. And give her smoothies to make sure she got at least some food in her."
The doctor nodded before asking a bunch of questions. He updated whatever was on my charts, before leaving.
I sighed before falling asleep again.