Worth a shot, (Y/N) thought and made their way over, mustering up the courage to be able to ask.

They approached the table and stood in front of the person, lightly coughing to gain their attention. Slowly, the person looked up and locked eyes with the apprehensive teenager.

It's the guy from earlier, (Y/N) silently panicked. Oh, no, what if I annoy him? What if he tells me to get lost, or tries to fight me?!

"Can I help you?" he questioned, removing an earbud from one ear, letting it dangle from the wire.

"Um, I was just wondering if I could sit here?" (Y/N) questioned, gesturing with their head towards one of the benches.

"I wouldn't recommend doing that," he answered, scratching his cheek before glancing at his nails. "Unless you don't mind ruining your social life."

(Y/N) slightly quirked an eyebrow with a small smile, not being able to tell if the boy was joking or not. "I'm new, I don't have a social life. I never really did, anyways."

The boy looked back up at them and stared, seemingly down into their soul. He lightly shrugged and nodded his head at the seat opposite to him. "Go ahead."

(Y/N) quickly walked over to the seat and sat down, placing their lunch tray down in front of them. Instantly, they heard the whispers and gossip of the people around them.

"Oh, my gosh, they're already with Jimin? Isn't it like their first day?"

"Think they're gonna do it in the back of his car like the last exchange student?!"

"Yeah, and then he'll kill them afterwards!"

(Y/N) rolled their eyes and drowned out the surrounding gossip, staring at the now-unappetizing food sitting in front of them.

They pushed it away and shook their head, putting their attention on the boy, surprised to see that he was already staring at them.

"Told you," he noted. "Any chance you had of being popular just went down the drain."

(Y/N) rolled their eyes and looked at the table, noticing the marks and crevices carved into it.

The teenager looked back up at the boy and gave him a small smile. "So, your names Jimin?"

He sighed and nodded, looking at the people around him. "Yours is [butchered version of your name], right?"

"Actually, it's (Y/N)," they corrected. "But, close, I guess."

Jimin let out a light chuckle and licked his bottom lip. "Where are you from?"

"Ah, [place you're from]," (Y/N) answered with a smile. "My dads in the military, so we move around a lot, and they moved him down to the Seoul unit. So, yeah, we came here."

"You gonna move again, soon?" Jimin questioned.

"Damn, you want me to leave already?" (Y/N) joked, raising their eyebrows.

Jimin widened his eyes and shook his head. "No, I just... just wanted to know if I should get close to you or not."

"What?" (Y/N) asked with furrowed eyebrows.

Jimin sighed and looked down at the table, noticeably getting red in the face . "Well, if you're gonna have to move soon, there's not really any point in becoming friends. It'll probably be tough on both of us if you do end up leaving."

(Y/N) smiled and ran a hand through their hair. "I won't be leaving for at least four years. I mean, that's how long I usually stay in places. Maybe this time it'll be for longer."

Jimin mentally smacked himself for the comment and glanced back up at the student across from him with a nod.

"And what happened to Mr. 'I'll-ruin-your-social-life'?" (Y/N) jokingly questioned, using air quotes.

"He's still here," Jimin assured with a small smile. "And... he'll never leave."

Jimin's smile turned into a slight frown as he thought about all the rumors surrounding him. (Y/N) noticed that he looked upset and quickly tried to change the subject.

"So, what do you do for fun around here?" they asked, tilting their head a bit to the side.

Jimin flushed from embarrassment and fidgeted with his fingers, mumbling something (Y/N) couldn't quite hear.

"What was that?"

"I... I dance."

"You dance?"

"Yeah, I know, it's stupid, everyone always thinks it is—"

"No, actually," (Y/N) interrupted. "That's... actually really amazing. What type?"

Again, Jimin mumbled something (Y/N) didn't catch.

"Hey, speak up a bit, would you?" (Y/N) laughed.

"It's... " he trailed off, "... ballet."

(Y/N) smiled. "Dude, that's so cool. Wish I could dance, but I have no grace whatsoever."

Jimin laughed and looked down at his shoes, contemplating an idea that he wanted to suggest.

"Would you, um," he started. "Would you wanna hang out... after school, maybe?"

(Y/N) widened their eyes in shock and stared at Jimin.

He noticed the reaction he got and bashfully shook his head. "Ah, sorry. That was stupid, we just met-"

"I'd love to hang out with you." (Y/N) grinned, letting out a light chuckle.

And with that, a beautiful friendship blossomed, and that friendship might've turned into something more.

•••

I'm so sorry for not uploading last week, I got logged out of my account and couldn't get back in niejdjjdj

It was an antagonizing week-

But I'll see you guys next update!

ángel