16: a looking glass can only show you so much (LAST CHAPTER)

Start from the beginning

"And what great leadership builds itself on deception? And it's our fault you don't trust us, not that you've been willfully isolating yourself? Unless, of course, if you needed someone for something." Mr. Bernard sniped and the rest of the room was clearly torn from each of the valid points made by both sides. Regardless of how she tried to hide it, my instincts just knew that Vera was fuming. I gave her a glance that I hoped delivered to her what I wished to say: "Let me help."

I cleared my throat to gain the attention of everyone. "If I may, I would like to say something."

"From how I've observed this society, I can say that you don't actually give a reason for anyone to trust you. Have you ever noticed that every single one of our enemies over the past months has all told us a similar thing: we're elitist assholes. We don't care enough. We don't try to understand. This secret society is no society. Acolytes enter expecting somewhere they could belong and find purpose. Instead, they're met by greediness and contempt hidden behind masks and disguised as leaders."

"Your definition of society is filled with sentiment."

"Is that so wrong?" Vera came to my defense.

Mr. Bernard replied with a haughty release of breath. "Vera Stone, talking about sentimentality- hah! Now, that's funny. You really sticking to this "changed person" act?"

"This is exactly what's wrong. I've come to recognize that. Compassion is treated as a folly. This Order is filled with humans who have forgotten that they are just that. And because of the example that we have shown, we are creating more and more heartless monsters."

Right as the argument was just getting to its most intense, the Head stood up and banged his hands thrice to table. "Okay, I think that's enough of that. I'd like to speak to the Grand Magus and the Temple Magus in private."

"What? That's it?" Mr. Bernard cried incredulously.

"Not necessarily. We still have to think about punishment, but for now, I'd like to have a conversation with them." He gave him a stern look. "Dismissed."

After the room was emptied with the exception of the three of us, Thomas smiled at Vera.

"What convinced you?" She was rightfully disconcerted.

"It would be a lie to tell you that I never considered banishing you, but it would also be a lie to tell you that I never believed in you. I did. And I guess all it took for me to stick with what I believed in is for someone else to remind me." He paused for a moment, clearly reminiscing some very dear recollections. "I received a phone call from one of your acolytes. He's said quite some things about the two of you. First, there were complaints, and I thought for sure that was a sign. But then he continued, and I had to rethink what kind of sign I was actually given."

Vera looked back at me, confused as to who the mystery caller was, which I responded to with a shrug. I had assumed that everyone was prepared to throw us to the metaphorical wolves, but maybe not. Whoever it was, they were absolutely unexpected. Unless... oh. "So, you were never planning to interrogate me- us? It was all for the reassurance of the rest of the Council?"

"You could say that. Especially in his case. You're the best Grand Magus we've had in decades, and you would know that. That might not say much since..." he trailed off, unmistakably not wanting to utter the name, Edward Coventry. "But hearing how that acolyte spoke about you, it reawakened the acolyte I was a long time ago. You make me feel hopeful, and I'm certain that I'm not the only one."

"Now, if we could finish this. Is there anything else you'd like to confess?"

"We're in a relationship." She declared out of nowhere.