---------------

Though she'd been several times over the course of her year with the Malfoy family, Ariadne was always awed by Diagon Alley. She imagined she'd remain that way forever, unable to completely wrap her head around the enormity of a totally hidden wizarding community. Today her awe was doubled– Ariadne had never seen Diagon Alley so crowded, and never with so many people her own age.

At her muggle primary school, Ariadne liked to think that she had many friends. However, she had not seen or heard from them since her abrupt departure from school, though she did not mind. There wasn't much place for them in the wizarding world anyway. Unfortunately, that left only Draco for companionship and although Ariadne found herself increasingly at ease in his presence, she would consider it a great misfortune if he remained her only company. After all, she was pretty sure he did not like her much at all.

In Diagon Alley, however, every Hogwarts student from first year to seventh was here to do shopping. Ariadne felt her heart beat faster at the thought of meeting new people. It had been so long (so long) since she had talked to anyone who wasn't a Malfoy or a house elf that she feared she no longer had the ability. Lucius' voice cut through her thoughts.

"I shall take Draco with me to Borgin & Burkes –don't give me that look, Narcissa– before retrieving the children's books from Flourish & Blotts. Ariadne, stay with Narcissa. We shall meet in two hours for tea. Only then, Draco, will I buy you your broom." Ariadne startled at hearing her name. She could count on one hand the number of times that Mr. Malfoy had addressed her directly. She nodded as Narcissa grabbed her arm and pulled her towards the shops, still glaring at Lucius with enough displeasure that Ariadne felt compelled to ask her what Borgin & Burkes was.

"Nothing you should concern yourself with, darling. Just an antique shop," Narcissa replied with a light laugh.

Narcissa's practiced nonchalance left Ariadne quite positive that it was not just an antique shop but resolved to let the matter rest. Instead, she allowed herself to be dragged by the arm by Narcissa, who set off in one direction quite purposefully.

"Are we getting my wand?" Ariadne asked hopefully.

"Not yet, darling. We absolutely must get you some new robes first. The ones you have been wearing are perfectly fine for lounging around the manor but are not befitting of a young witch in school. I can't quite decide between Twilfitt and Tattings or Madame Malkin's though. Do you have a preference?"

At Ariadne's blank look Narcissa laughed once more. "Right. Twilfitt and Tattings it is. Draco got his robes at Madame Malkin's last year, but Twilfittt and Tattings simply has the higher quality selections." At that, Narcissa pulled Ariadne into a store with a rather nondescript exterior, with slightly rundown brick that matched the rest of the Alley storefronts.

Inside was a completely different story. Ariadne was not at all surprised that this was the kind of store that Narcissa Malfoy shopped at. Everything was pristine and white, from the cold marble floors to the clothing displays. Giant gold chandeliers hung from the ceiling, shining light onto mannequins that changed positions every few seconds, ensuring a view of the robes from all possible angles.

"Lady Malfoy!" A skeletally thin woman with a rather tight forehead moved to greet them at the door, kissing Narcissa on both cheeks. Privately, Ariadne wondered if the woman could move her face at all. "Who might this lovely thing be?"

"Hello, Muffy. This is my," Narcissa briefly paused, "niece. Ariadne Black. We're purchasing her some robes before she enters her first year at Hogwarts."

Muffy looked rather taken aback, or as much as could with her eyebrows remaining perfectly still. Nevertheless, she recovered quickly.

"Goodness! First year, you say? What I would have given to look like you at eleven! Or even now! Let's get you fitted right away." Muffy's words remained light, but her eyes bore down on Ariadne curiously. Ariadne knew something about her had caught Muffy off guard. Was it her name? The fact that Narcissa had a niece?