ii.

Destiny
Dazai Osamu

I hadn't researched much into the government testing after we found Chuuya Nakahara all those years ago. It never occurred to me that there may have been someone else going through the same thing. Arahabaki had a big impact on Yokohama within days of his release. I guess part of me feared the truth.

That was until she went missing five years ago. She was a gifted that Mori was keeping an eye on. She wasn't in any organization and she hadn't been causing any trouble, but there were rumors among the organizations of Yokohama of a young gifted who had the ability to kill someone by simply looking at them.

It sounded a bit far-fetched to me, though I never discount the rumors because they tend to be pretty accurate. While investigating the gifted I had a great lead and just as I got to the meeting point, she never showed. From that day on she ceased to exist. Years went by and the thought of her still plagues my mind.

People like us don't simply disappear unless it's covered up, and with both the Armed Detectives Agency and the Port Mafia hunting her down, it would take a solid cover to hide her.

A cover so strong that the only prediction I could come up with, was that the government had restarted its testing.

I never read much into the files that Mori had on the incident, but I did recall reading that there were backup testing sites throughout Yokohama. I knew that if I were correct on my hunch, she wouldn't make it in the agency. Yet I had a crazy idea, and I followed through with it.

There was only one person in Yokohama I could trust with the retrieval and protection of a gifted like her. It had to be someone who understands her, and knows how to think like her.

I collected all my notes and sent them out. He would know what to do in this situation, he didn't need a babysitter.

He would be able to rescue her.