chapter two | the inside scoop

King's Cross became overwhelmed with Hogwarts students and their families on the first day of September. Rosie was used to it by now. After dealing with the chaos of leaving for school since the age of eleven, the Clarke family learned to just keep walking and mind their own business.

Rosie exhaled loudly, though she was still hardly able to hear it. With her trolley in front of her, she made her way towards the train and got her stuff on, minus her small bag that was carrying her robes in it.

She looked at her parents and gave them a small smile. "Well, it's almost time for me to go."

"Yeah, you better get on," her mum said, pulling Rosie in for a hug. "I'll miss you, darling. Behave for me, will you?"

"Of course, Mum," she assured her, pulling away, then looking at her father. "I'll think about our conversation more, Dad."

"I know you will." He nodded her way. "I have faith that you'll pick the right path for yourself."

Rosie felt her stomach drop, but she nodded back, anyway. "Right." She turned her head towards the train. "Better get going, then. Love you both. See you at Christmas." With that, the girl smiled at her parents one last time before heading off to the nearest train entrance.

"Write to us!" her mum shouted.

Rosie spun around and waved again. "I will!" Turning back around, she piled in the train with other students and went looking for her friends.

Weaving through the crowd, she peaked in every compartment, attempting to find one or all of her friends inside one. She was hoping in the back of her mind that they were not already at the compartments for Slytherins. Otherwise, Rosie would get harsh stares that she did not particularly want. While her friends would tell her to not worry about it, that was all Rosie would do.

Fortunately, at the next compartment she looked in, Gavin Thomson was inside with his book in hand. She slid the door open and entered inside. "Hey, Gavin."

He looked up and smiled, waving at her. "Hey, Rosie," he replied, motioning to take a seat across from him. "Did you have a good holiday?"

The girl nodded, closing the door and taking the seat he offered. "Yeah, it was nice. You?"

"It was good as well," he answered, placing his book down. "Although, I think Greer had more fun than I did, hanging with Adam all summer."

"And you didn't?" Rosie asked.

He shrugged. "A few times, yeah, but you know how he and Greer are with their relationship. Almost one year together and they can't stay away from each other for too long."

Rosie couldn't help but chuckle. "Yes, we've witnessed a lot of that, it seems like."

Ever since last year, right before the Triwizard Tournament, Adam and Greer became inseparable, even after the four of them started to hang out as a group. Every day and every night, the two were always together, clinging onto each other like Hermione Granger and her books. Rosie would be lying if she said it didn't bother her, either, but she was still happy with their romance.

Speaking of the lovebirds, the two strolled inside, their hair messy and top buttons undone with flustered expressions on their faces.

"Been busy, I presume?" Gavin asked, raising his eyebrows.

"You could say that," Adam replied, smirking a little.

"Or my twin brother can mind his own business and move next to Rosie," Greer retorted, motioning her brother to do just that. She sighed and sat down in his place, fixing her blonde hair.