chapter five | witnessing an outburst

Rosie couldn't remember the last time she was running late while getting ready for a day of classes.

She knew that the first day was the worst day to do such a thing. With a new year beginning, she didn't want to start things off so badly. Once she hurriedly got dressed, Rosie quickly gathered her things and dashed down the stairs and out through the portrait, making her way to the Great Hall. She moved past the students, feeling her stomach grumble. She needed to get some food into her system before she passed out in the middle of the corridor.

Luckily, she made it all the way down to the ground floor just in time. Taking a seat, she filled her plate with fruit and toast. Professor McGonagall came around with her timetable.

"Thank you, Professor," she said, watching her walk along the Gryffindor table to the other students.

Rosie looked down at her schedule and saw that Charms was her first class of the day. She was hoping that Defense Against the Dark Arts would be her first class, already intrigued to find out what the new professor's teaching methods were going to be like this year. Really, she would be either very good or very terrible, based on the track record of the last four professors for the class.

Breakfast went by faster for Rosie, knowing that running behind made her time to relax before the busy first day had to be cut short. Once the food from her plate was gone, beginning to settle in her stomach, she stood up with her bag and headed out of the Great Hall. She was about to go down the corridor when a voice stopped her.

"In a rush, Rosie?" Gavin called out.

She spun around on her heel and chuckled a little. "Yeah, I was a little bit late this morning. I had to practically devour my breakfast, so hopefully I won't vomit all over the place before I get to class."

Gavin nodded, chuckling a little. "Yeah, please don't do that."

It wasn't long after that Adam and Greer came strolling out of the Great Hall, their hands intertwined. "Morning, Rosie," Greer greeted her, followed by a smile.

"Morning, Greer," she replied, smiling back, then looking at Adam. "Morning, Adam."

"Morning, Rosebud," he said, a warm expression coming over his face. "Nervous about the first day?"

She shook her head. "Not really. Just as long as I'm not late anymore or vomit..." After realizing what she said, she shot him an awkward smile, for which he returned the favor. She paused, clearing her throat. "But this is your last year. How do you feel about that?"

Adam shrugged in response. "I mean, everything's normal like usual. Nothing special, really."

Greer rolled her eyes. "Don't let him fool you. He knows it's a bittersweet day for him today."

Rosie chuckled, nodding her head. "Yeah, it really is, Adam."

He sighed. "Okay, it sort of is, I'll admit, but I try not to think about it too much."

"Understandable," Rosie replied.

That was when it got silent for a moment. Greer then opened her mouth to speak. "Well, we better get to class. Come on." She led the group down the corridor, pulling Adam along with her.

The four headed to the Charms class first, in which Adam gave Greer a kiss goodbye before he left the three. There weren't many seats left, but the three managed to find seats so that they could sit near each other. The chaos of the classroom that was talking and laughing filled the room, going all the way up to the ceiling. She eyed the students giving them odd looks, as if the idea that Gryffindors and Slytherins couldn't sit together was crazy.