Eyes and ears still somehow remain attuned to Lisa.

It's an amazing effect.

And now that Jennie is not facing her in opposition, she can do just that. She can actually admire Lisa's arguments, her line of questioning. Can pay attention to it. Can look at the whole picture being presented instead of those weak spots where she can poke holes.

She's always admired Lisa in the courtroom, but this is different.

Going up against her and observing her are two different animals entirely.

Xx

With every free moment she has during business hours, Jennie finds herself in the back of that courtroom. Sometimes standing against the wall in the crowd, sometimes lucky enough to have a seat.

Ron's case is a strong one. Jennie finds herself thinking about all the ways to upend his arguments, she finds herself thinking like a prosecutor.

Thinking like Lisa.

Every time Lisa objects, it is the same one Jennie was thinking.

Every time Lisa shifts in her seat or tenses up, Jennie can pick up on why.

Every time Ron hits a great point, Jennie clenches her fists and Lisa clenches her jaw.

It's an odd sort of switch, the shift in perspective.

She doesn't… hate it.

The case is compelling. Full of twists, fact patterns that overlap. Evidence being marked and presented every few moments it seems. Pictures from the scene send a chill across the courtroom. Jennie knows Lisa and Liam had shown them at the beginning of their case, but they're back now and just as raw, just as visceral.

The gruesome brutality depicted through the news from the very beginning was enough to set everyone on edge. Jennie does not begrudge Lisa or Ron for having to dig in to this case, and this timeline, even if the whole city is watching.

Xx

Lisa spots her every day. Her eyes find Jennie wherever she is in the courtroom and hold for just a brief second.

An acknowledgment.

She carries on with whatever line of questioning she was in the middle of, no change in her demeanor whatsoever, but Jennie loves that it happens.

Gets a thrill.

Lisa knows she's watching.

They don't talk, don't text.

Jennie doesn't want to distract her, disturb her. Lisa is working herself to the bone.

On a case like this, sleep is a luxury.

She's probably not even sleeping in her bed, but crashing in her office.

Jennie lets her be. The brief looks they share from across the packed courtroom are enough of a placeholder until this is all over. She knows the drill, has played the game so many times herself.

This is what the job is. This is what they do.

Chaeyoung sits just behind the tables, with a group of ADAs all observing the trial. They are always there, around the clock, and Jennie wonders how many cases were rearranged just so they could be here in this room.

Lisa has all the support she needs.

Ron gives her the reins throughout the case, even though it's the biggest case of the year and one of the biggest cases the DA's office has seen in awhile. He is not a passive participant but spends his time on certain cross-examinations and objections, but Lisa is the one who seems to be making the most headway. As far as Jennie can tell, it has morphed into the Lisa Manoban show and no one seems to be complaining.