THREE

CHAPTER THREE
The Interview

          ARLO STOOD AWKWARDLY in front of the school, nervoulsy holding on to the straps on her backpack. She rubbed her eyes then silently cursed herself out due to the make up she had put on.

After finding out the events of the confrontation, Arlo hadn't been able to get much sleep with the combined stress of university interviews and the fact that Polo was going to back and walking around campus like nothing happened. She had put on more concealer than usual for her under eyes, but part of her still looked like a zombie.

Students around her filed through the front door, most of them rehearsing what they would say to their interviewer. Arlo tried not to put so much pressure on herself, but a part of her knew she didn't have what it took to get into the most elite universities, she wasn't as smart as Nadia or Lu.

Taking a deep breath, Arlo walked into the school. She glanced down the hallway to see a small booth set up at the end of it with pamphlets from universities on top of the table as passing students flicked through them.

Arlo chewed on her bottom lip as her stomach started to feel queasy. This was all too much pressure. This could decide her whole future and she was certain she was going to do something to mess it all up.

"Lo!" Guzmán called as he walked down from the other end of the hall.

"Hi." The girl greeted nervously, tapping her foot on the ground.

The boy regarded her state quickly and sighed, sitting her down in one of the chairs aligned in the hallway as he knelt in front of her. "Hey, look at me. You're going to be okay. Just breathe. You're smart and creative. Whatever university doesn't accept you are idiots. So, don't put too much pressure on yourself, okay? You'll be fine."

"You sound so sure." Arlo breathed out airily with a strained smile.

"Thats because I know you." Guzmán grinned. "I know how much you have to offer. Just take deep breaths and be yourself. That always works in your favour."

Arlo chortled. "Now stop, you're making me blush."

"Well, you're also very cute." Guzmán complimented. "Okay, I have to go. My interview starts at the same time yours does."

"You'll do great." Arlo declared confidently.

The boy hesitated slightly. He had no plans in actually trying to make a good impression. Thats not what he cared about right now, but he didn't want to make Arlo worry even more. "I know. So will you."
He then stood up and tilted his head down as he kissed her forehead and gave her hands a comforting squeeze. "Good luck, babe."

"You too. I love you."

"Love you too."

Arlo watched with a goofy smile as he jogged down the hallway, nearly bumping into one of their classmates. She took a deep breath and stood up, making her way to the allocated room where the King's College interviewer would be.

"You've got this, Arlo." She murmured to herself. "Guzmans right. You have a lot to offer. Just breathe and be yourself."

The girl then sat down in the chair outside the room and next to the King's College banner as she waited for the current interview to finish before she had hers. Those five minutes felt like forever until the door opened and one student exited and Arlo couldn't tell if they were satisfied or disheartened.

The interviewer beamed at Arlo. "Are you Arlo Calero?"

Arlo smiled. "Yes, I am."

"I'm Emma, its nice to meet you. Please come in."