Chapter 17: The hostel plan

Start from the beginning

He stood in front of Justin and I, the large table putting a boundary between us.

I already knew he wasn't suitable for the job. On look at him and you'd feel frightened. There was no way Zoe would be friends with him, if she ever was I'd be worried.

He looked like the leader of a drug cartel.

I should have added physically features requirements when I contacted the agency.

The least I could do was ask him a few questions, I already felt like a asshole.

"What is your name sir?" I asked, my eyes focused on the paper with the list of names in my hand.

Justin seemed relaxed, eating popcorn whilst watching the two of us.

"David Koresh," he answered in a thick muscular tone.

His voice was one of those that would easily scare you away. Like the type your ex convict father in law had.

"Do you have any experience?"I  asked.

I had all the interviewees CVs but I just needed verbal confirmation. Many times, I've come to learn that some people have their Curriculum vitaes written for them by others and have no clue what's on it.

"Yes sir. I've been a bodyguard to the mayor's daughter." He answered. "In California for the last three months," he elaborated.

I nodded.

I continued asking him a couple other questions to which he gave good answers too.

He seemed professional and well qualified from what I gathered. Maybe I'd need him in a more threatening situation.

"Thank you for coming, I'll have my assistant contact to you." I said dismissing him.

He nodded and left the room.

Justin waited until he was out of sight before speaking.

"Even his voice sounds beefy. I'd never be able to pull off that tone." He commented.

"Yes," I agreed. "But then again you haven't reached puberty." I mocked.

I laughed at my own joke, Justin scowled as he continued to stare at me like I was crazy.

He glared at me with a 'I'll get you back' look.

The next interviewee walked in.

This one looks about 6 feet tall, just a few inches shorter than I am.

He had shoulder length hair with a stubble bead. He wasn't beefy but he looked capable of the job.

"I'm Walte," he announced with a cheerful smile.

He kept his smile whilst I looked for his name on the list.

Usually I required people who seemed more serious and professional but then again, that's probably why it sometimes feels so depressing at work.

"Do you have any valuable experience?" I asked, although I already had his CV memorised.

"Yes sir, I've been hired to bodyguard by some of the top politicians. I'm highly trained in boxing, martial arts and explosives." He answered proudly.

I looked at his CV for verification. He had prove, including his: certificates of his accomplishments, recommendation letters and reference phone numbers.

He seemed qualified for the position. But there was just something about him I didn't like that made me feel unsettled.

"Maybe because he seemed like the perfect guy for Zoe," my subconscious said.

I asked him a couple other questions, on my behave, it felt like I was interrogating him.

"Thanks for coming, we'll contact you soon." I said dismissing him.

"Thank you sir," he said with a nod to sure his gratitude.

He walked out of the room.

"Why didn't you hire him? He seemed like the best candidate for the job." Justin said as he continued eating.

How does he eat so much!

"I just don't like him," I answered truthfully.

"That's a good reason," Justin said sarcastically.

"I'm trying to get a body guard for her, not a boyfriend." I said defensive.

"Jealous much," Justin muttered.

I ignored his remark.

My phone vibrated on the table.

Anna's name popped up. She is my assistant's, assistant.

"Hello," I answered the phone.

"Hi sir. There has been a mishap with the Atlanta project, Mr Pitt demands to speak to you in person. He's already waiting in your office " she answered frantically.

I sighed.

Victor Pitt was an important client and also a friend of my god father Sebastian, which is why I agreed to work with him. Otherwise he was known to be very demanding.

"Tell him I'll be there in a couple of minutes." I answered.

The meeting with Victor would probably take a great deal of my time, which meant I no longer had time to continue the interviews.

Apart from a few squeezed in vacations, my calendar was already packed for the next two years. I didn't have time to continue this.

"Thank you sir," she answered.

I hang up the phone letting out a deep sigh.

"Trouble in paradise?" Justin asked.

"I have to go back to work," I answered placing my phone in my pocket.

Now I surely had to hire that Walt guy, he was the only option.

I didn't trust anyone else to do the interviews on my behave.

"Could you please email that Walt guy and tell him he is hired." I instructed Justin.

Let's hope he can carry out this simple task.

"Also tell him to come to my office tommorow morning, at nine a.m." I continued.

I'd do this myself but I doubt I'd have the time.

He raised his hand, his fingers toughing his forehead to salute me. His way of saying yes.

Walt could definitely use a make cover, starting with that stupid hair cut and beard and probably his name too.

"Thank you," I said gathering up my things then left.