017.

"𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐲 𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐭. 𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭." Emerson said. Her and John B were currently far from land, but still able to see everything that was going on. 

There was a tropical storm coming in, so it was currently thundering and raining. Emerson had her and John B wear lifejackets, just in case something happened. 

Everytime it thundered, Emerson would jump and put her hand over her mouth so that she wouldn't scream, and blow their cover. John B would always be there to cover her ears, and hold her tight. 

"We'll go dark, and let the tide pull us out." John B explained, as the two continued to watch what was happening on land. Emerson couldn't help but pinch the bridge of her nose, as she was getting extremely anxious. She was worried they would get caught, and John B would be sent to jail for something he didn't even do. 

"We just gotta go north through the swamp, then we just follow the North Star. What everything spins around." John B told Emerson, as she kept pinching the bridge of her nose. John B took her hand away from her nose, and held her hand tight. 

Emerson looked behind her, and her heart dropped. All the lights in the houses were slowly starting to light up, which meant the lighthouse would gain power too, which would shine the light right at them. "No, no, no. John B, the lights."

The two teenagers started panicking, as the lighthouse's light lit up. "That's them! There they are!" they heard someone shout on land. 

"Shit! What's happening? Why isn't it turning over?" Emerson panicked, as John B couldn't get the boat to start up. They had turned it off earlier to not waste gas, and so that the engine sound wouldn't reveal them.

"It's not turning over. Fuck!" John B also started to panic. "Check the engine! Check the choke and squeeze it!" John B shouted at Emerson. Emerson started to squeeze the choke, and eventually the boat started.

"Come here. Sit down." John B instructed Emerson, as he started the boat and drove off as fast as they could. In the distance, they heard police sirens behind them. 

"Shit, this is the bitter end, isn't it?" Emerson shouted over the rain and police sirens, as they saw the cops cornering them. They were basically doomed at that point, unless they chose to take a very dangerous route, that could potentially risk death.

"We've gotta go south!" John B yelled. Emerson looked at John B with wide eyes, but knew it would be the only way to escape. "Into the storm, right?" she asked. "Yeah!" John B shouted, and Emerson just nodded. 

Emerson prayed that going south wouldn't lead to death. She knew it was dangerous, but hoped that they could still possibly escape. With the huge waves crashing onto them, she wasn't so sure if they would make it out alive.

As the two clung onto each other tightly, they heard someone's voice coming from the radio. "John B? Em?" Emerson grew furious, knowing exactly who's voice that was. 𝘞𝘢𝘳𝘥.

"Guys, I know you're there. I know you two can hear me. Please, guys, do not go into that storm. You are going into a storm that you cannot survive. Guys, please, I will make it right. I promise you. Come back. You guys, I am begging you." Ward begged them. Emerson was so mad, that she picked up the radio and decided to tell him everything on her mind.

"Em, what are you doing?" John B asked through the harsh weather.

"Ward Cameron, can you hear me?" Emerson asked into the radio. "Yes, sweetie, I'm right here. I'm right here. Please, come back, okay? We'll work it all out when you get home." Ward continued to beg them.