Blossoming

A/N: Because we don't get to see nor get to know Moon brothers mother much in the drama I decided to integrate Juri's mother (Soon Deuk) as their mother :) Also this chapter is heavily inspired by the bus scene in School 2015: Who Are you. I loved that drama sm huhuhu.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

He slept that night unaware of the angelic smile on his face but his older brother Sang Tae came to check on him late at night when he was asleep. Peaceful, a wonderful smile on his face that made Sang Tae smile.

“Happy….he’s happy.” Sang Tae thought, he pulled up the covers and tugged Kang Tae in before leaving his room.

Their mother Soon Deuk was watching television and peeling the skin off almonds. “Did he go to bed? Did something happen? He seemed oddly shy today?” Their mother asked.

“He talked to a girl he has a crush on today.” Sang Tae, feeling rather shy himself.

“Aigoo, those were the good days. If I knew I would get married and have kids so soon, I would have gone out a little more during my youth.” Their mother said jokingly, making Sang Tae laugh.

Sang Tae picked up some almonds and helped his mother as they continued talking about their day. Sang Tae and Kang Tae were solely raised by their mother. Their father passed away when he was nine years old and Kang Tae was two years old in an accident. Their mother wanted to be a chef but due to their father’s premature demise, she had to become the sole breadwinner of the family. They did not have much but whatever they had was enough and they were thankful for it. Sang Tae worked extremely hard in school and managed to get a scholarship to attend university.

Immediately after graduating, he got offered a job as an Arts Manager in a publishing company for children’s books. His dream was to be an illustrator but the job he was doing was relevant to his dreams as they scouted and audited illustrators and illustrations for books. He came to be extremely fond of his job, the work was great but the work environment was even better. His boss Lee Sang In was a gentle and passionate man whom he grew close to.

While he flourished in his career, bit by bit he got to fulfill dreams of his, from getting his mother an apartment to buying their first car. He got to watch his little brother Moon Kang Tae grow up and attend high school.

Kang Tae grew up well but he seemed to suppress his feelings, he was not as talkative as his mother nor him but he still appreciated the man Kang Tae was growing up to be. Through parent-teacher meets and talking to Kang Tae, he learned that his little brother wanted to be a physician or a psychiatrist. Both very commendable and profound occupations. He was not the smartest of the bunch but he is hardworking and he maintained his grades as much as possible so Sang Tae was not really worried about him, instead, he was excited to encourage and push him in the right direction.

He smiled thinking about the girl his little brother had a crush on, if his memory serves him right, her name is Moon Young. She is very pretty and very unlike other high school girls, there’s something about her, the air around her. Like she’s been through a lot yet she’s not backing down. She smiled at Kang Tae, no she beamed at Kang Tae and he could see the effect she had on his little brother.

Kang Tae woke up the next morning feeling strangely energetic and happy. He was humming, noticing his good mood, Sang Tae tiptoed to him and enclosed him in a back hug. “Ah hyung stop.” Kang Tae yelled. “I’m going to be late for school.”

“Aigoo, aigoo. You weren’t late last two seconds ago. Why? Are you meeting her? Or picking her up? Want hyung to give you a ride?” Sang Tae said as he watched his brother scramble to pick up his things and rush into the toilet.