Chapter One Communication Barriers

Saving the Dead

Christopher Chancy 

This story is dedicated to all those who serve on humanity's front line as first responders. These brave men and women rush to the blood, trauma, and pain, to take on the burdens that are not theirs to bear. Why? Because they just want to make the world a better place. Thank you for your service.

This is a work of fiction. All characters and events portrayed are fictional, and any resemblances to real people living or dead or incidents are purely coincidental.

Copyright © 2015 by Christopher Chancy

All rights reserved, including the right to reproduce this book or portions thereof in any form.

ISBN 13: 978-1515351337

ISBN-10: 1515351335

Saving the Dead

Christopher Chancy 

"Leo, you have a student today."

Ramirez dropped his head and groaned.

His partner, Samuel Drifts's, response wasn't so quiet. "Aww, John! What the fuck, man? This is our fifth student in a row. Can't we just go out and do our jobs without having to babysit a bunch of wide-eyed idiots? I mean, every one of them was worse than useless, well except that blonde girl, what's-her-name. She had her (heh) qualities."

Ramirez looked up at his partner and said, "Sam, you know you're no longer allowed to my

house when my oldest daughter, Maria, turns eighteen next year, right?"

Drifts smiled at him. "You only tell me that once a shift."

Operations Chief John Sutter, their supervisor, watched the exchange indifferently. He had seen their act before. "Well, this isn't another impressionable girl. Sorry, Sam. His name is Justin Colbert. This is his first ride-along. Sorry, Leo." This time both Drifts and Ramirez groaned. Sutter continued, "He's waiting by your rig. Enjoy your Preceptor duty."

Ramirez sighed, shaking his head of graying hair. He gathered his insulated cup of coffee and a crossword puzzle. "Come on. Let's get this over with." He turned for the door while his partner, who was young enough to be his son, watched him go in open disbelief. He shouldered his backpack over his muscular tattooed arm and reluctantly followed.

Outside Sutter's office was the ambulance bay. A few of the other night shift crews were checking their rigs out as a few of the day shift crews brought theirs in.

"You're just going to take this?" Drifts complained. "We could have tried to argue our way out of being saddled with another student."

"It's John, you're not going to change his mind," said Ramirez. Drifts shut his mouth as he

conceded the point.

Together they went into the supply office. Ramirez, as the paramedic on their crew, checked out their narcotics and anti-venom. Drifts, as the EMT, could not take responsibility for the drugs, so he took it upon himself to check out the radios and spare batteries for their equipment.

Drifts inspected his titanium handled flashlight. The tube was slightly dented, but the light worked. "Do you need any batteries for your flashlight?"

Ramirez took out his similar flashlight from his own belt loop and tested the light. His was also had several dents from its secondary use. "I'm good." He slid it back into his loop.