The Council Of Elrond

Começar do início

Before he had finished his sentence, Gandalf had already got up and was halfway to the door. After he had closed the door behind him, I was alone.

I tried to concentrate on my notes, but couldn't stop thinking of Gandalf's words. Had I really thrown the son of Gondor off course like that? I couldn't imagine it with the best will in the world, after all, he was a seasoned man and probably thousands of women were waiting longingly for his return to Minas Tirith.

I was somehow lost in my thoughts, that I didn't notice Legolas' presence at first. In my defense, however, I have to say that Legolas was actually able to move almost silently.

"Aragorn told me that I would find you here," he said calmly. I looked up, startled. Legolas was standing right next to me.

"Oh! Legolas, I didn't hear you coming.", I answered a little uncertainly.

I felt caught out, hopefully I didn't stare any holes in the air during my daydreams.

"I didn't mean to scare you! Am I bothering you?" He asked further.

"No, it's okay! I was just going through my notes for the council. Elrond asked me to gather information about Sauron and the ring," I replied gently.

"You seem to be very well-read."  Legolas stated appreciatively.

"Yes, I've probably read every book in this library, some of them even more than once. But actually I'd rather experience my own adventure than just read adventure stories all the time," I replied with a shy laugh.

"Maybe you will get the opportunity to do so sooner than you would like."  Legolas grinned. "Not all adventures turn out well, Luthien. Will you come with me to the council? It starts soon."

"Yes, of course." I replied.

What had happened to the time, felt like a minute ago, it was just early in the morning and now it was already afternoon? I must have been absorbed in my daydream for a long time.

-

The place where the council would take place was already well filled.  The dwarfs had already gathered and sat grimly in their chairs. You could tell that they were uncomfortable in the presence of so many Elves.  Gandalf had also already arrived with Frodo, I smiled friendly at Frodo when I entered the square with Legolas. Elrond sat in his chair, on his left his advisor Elestar, on his right the two twins. In the square, chairs had been set up in a circle around a pedestal. On the edge of the square, drinks were available for those present.

I chose the seat next to Elladan and sat down. Elladan and Elrohir greeted me warmly, we were just engrossed in our conversation when Aragorn arrived and took the seat next to me.

It took some time before all council members had gathered. I did not miss the looks that some of those present gave me. Not only Boromir seemed to be bothered by the sight of a woman in this group, especially in trousers. The dwarves in particular didn't seem to be very enthusiastic about my presence.

When Boromir entered the square, he first let his gaze wander over the faces of those present. Since I was still talking to Elladan, I didn't notice right away that his gaze stayed on me longer than on the others. Aragorn seemed to have noticed, however, because he gave me a concerned look.

Boromir took one of the last free seats next to Aragorn. Between them sat two older men whose names and origins I did not know. Boromir couldn't see me from his position, which was fine with me at that moment. In his presence I felt somehow vulnerable and insecure. I knew it would be difficult for me to hold my own against him amongst all the others.