Chapter 35

There is a surprise in this chapter. Be on the look out and point it out for me in the comment section.

Enjoy!

__________________________________

Jamal's POV

"He's awake." The nurse revealed with a smile playing on her face.

As soon as she dropped that bomb, uncle Taju stood up and bolted past to her, towards the ward of his son. I stood up as well, taking Skye's hand in mine so that she could come with. But she didn't budge.

I looked back at her. She was staring at me.

"You go ahead. I don't think I'm ready to see him." She said, uncertainty laced in her voice. I rolled my eyes.

"We are not doing this right now. You are coming with me to see him and you are going to talk to him. Skye, if you run away from this now, you'll keep running. Let's face it together." I told her and her green eyes glistened with incoming tears.

"I'm not ready." She repeated, her voice quivering.

"Skye, you can't keep blaming yourself for something you had no power over." I told her and she scoffed out a mock laughter.

"Something I had no power over? Considering that I was a major trigger to Mateo slitting his wrist and stabbing his side, I can say that I had at least a little power over this situation. I could have stopped it." She lamented.

"No, you could have just managed it. There is no way you could have stopped Mateo's demons from manifesting. Something, somewhere, someone would have been a trigger as well, Skye."

"When he needed me most, I deserted him Jamal. Can't you understand. Just like the way you need Elyon, Mateo needed me but unlike Elyon, I wasn't there for him." She sobbed. I sighed, taking her hands in mine.

"Skye, I need you to know something." I said, causing her to look at me. "Never compare yourself to anyone else. Yes, maybe you made a mistake, everyone makes a mistake. Even Elyon isn't perfect." I told her.

"No I'm not." A voice came from the door and I didn't have to look up to know it was the love of my life. My lips unconsciously spread into a smile as she walked in.

"Hey." I whispered. She smiled and leaned close to me, placing a kiss on my cheek before moving to look at Skye.

"Skye," She settled on the bed beside Skye as well. "Don't be too hard on yourself. You did what you thought was right at that particular time. You felt the need to choose between your brother and your love interest and as a good sister you chose your brother."

"And that decision led to my love interest splitting his wrist and stabbing himself." Skye said wistfully, sniffing.

"No, that wasn't your decision. It was Mateo's. He seemed to have gotten to a break point in his life where he couldn't shut out those demons eating him up and he probably felt the best way to silence them was by doing what he did." Elyon explained and I nodded.

"Suicide isn't a one day or one week thought, it is a constant. So the only explanation we can bring out of this right now is that we never actually knew him. We just thought we did." I concluded, chipping in my quarter.

"I really didn't mean to cause him any pain." Skye muttered.

"You didn't and you can let him know that..." I started but Elyon cut me off.

"But if you are not ready to face him, it's totally fine. You need time. You deserve it." Elyon gave me a look and I nodded again.

"Yeah, you deserve it. You can go and see him whenever you want." I said and she nodded at me, giving a small smile of appreciation. On cue, my phone began to ring.