He blinked as the shard of memory crumbled in his hands. "Rex" He whispered aloud. "My name is Rex." It felt... right. He frowned, putting a hand to his head as his headache spiked again. "What happened to me?" He asked the blackness. Thousands of fractured images swirled up.

"Rex, that's a kyber crystal."

"kidnapped..trandosha-"

"Caedus..."

"complete the Gathering..."

"-Rishi moon"

"guilty as charged-"

His head pounded with every memory that flickered before him. He threw out his hands and pushed it all away again. Ok. He had to be specific. "Why can't I remember?"

This time, only two memories came to light.

"CT 7567, you are charged with assaulting a superior officer, helping a wanted person evade the law, and desertion from the Grand Army of the Republic. How pleads you?" Somebody, a judge in a raised dais said. A togruta girl in a nearby balcony stiffened as Rex braced himself. The sight of her made him want to smile despite what was going to happen to him

"Guilty as charged, your honor." He said. She whipped her head around to stare at him, a voice smooth and clear as a spring brook echoed in his head. It must've been hers.

Rex!!

It's ok, Cyare. You're gonna be ok. He replied along what seemed to be a golden rope between them, appearing only in his mind's eye. Cyare? Was that her name? No... Cyare is the mando'a word for beloved, and she was togruta. A nickname, then.

I don't understand, why... She trailed off mentally, fear marring her beautiful voice.

I was charged differently than you. Be strong, ok? He said mentally. She seemed so sad to see him go. Was she close to him? A friend? Girlfriend, maybe?

He shut the connection. The girl was shaking like a leaf, clinging to a woman in extravagant black and grey robes. The judge declared Rex's sentence.

"By your own admission of guilt, CT 7567, you are sentenced to reconditioning and reintegration into the Grand Army of the Republic."

The memory shard dissolved like the first one had, only to be replaced by the second memory of why he couldn't remember anything.

He was being marched down a hallway, a sinister feeling in the air despite the innocent look. They took him through a set of double doors and to a single medical chair, like they had in the oral health section of the infirmary. He tripped over the shackles on his ankles and stumbled. His guards just grabbed hum by the armpits and dragged him up into the chair, strapping him down.

"Alright, call in the Kaminoans." One of the guards, a clone in red armor, said. The other nodded and they left the room. The first few pangs of panic began to hit Rex as he lay in the chair, unable to move. Finally, three of the long necked creatures, apparently the Kaminoans, entered. One of them had a datapad and was scrolling through it.

"7567, Captain Rex. Scheduled for full reconditioning and inhibitor chip replacement." It read aloud to the other two. They moved in sync, taking up positions on either side of him. Rex clenched his jaw and closed his eyes. They were going to put him to sleep anyways. There was nothing he could do.

He did... something, and suddenly he could see everything. Even through his eyes. Lines of power surrounded him, moved through him. Before he could marvel at the sights, he heard his own voice, like a prayer, echo through his head.

Give me peace, one last time. Ahsoka... I'm sorry, Cyare.

The scene shifted, lines of power melting into a place he should have known. He was standing on a platform, overlooking a massive stormy sea. Part of him knew that he was still in the chair, still in the medical facility as his mind was getting erased and forgetting everything. Like Ahsoka, his mystery girl that seemed to mean everything to him.

A voice spoke up behind him.

"Well, son?" Asked a voice next to him, and he felt a weight on his shoulder. Rex turned to look at a man just like him, like him but older. The faded blue and silver beskar glittered. Rex smiled a little.

"Well, Buir?" He echoed the man. He looked out over the stormy waters once more. The man, his father apparently, laughed.

"All this time, fighting to get away, to get back to her. All this time, surviving the impossible, and now you just accept your fate?" His Buir asked. "You got the girl, married her, and just when you got your happy ending, you decide to throw it all away." Rex closed his eyes, fighting down some great pain that he couldn't put to words.

"Either I gave the General the information to free her, or I lied and said she had forced me to go with her either way I died, either by the general's hand or I died by the kaminoans." He looked at the mandalorian sideways. Jango tightened his grip on Rex's shoulder as they over looked the roiling, terrifying depths.

"Can I see them?" He asked, looking over at his father. Jango smiled sadly.

"Only if you're dead." He said. Rex frowned, looking at the durasteel beneath his feet.

"But I am dead. They've erased my memories. I'm here, aren't I?" Rex asked, a hint of desperation creeping into his voice. "Jesse? Hevy, Hardcase?" He asked. "Neon? Echo, Waxer?" He asked, looking down the hallway to where he knew they all were waiting for him. "Last time you warned me against going back! And now that I have no way back, you tell me that I can't? Buir, I'm ready to go! I've said my goodbyes. I know I left people I love behind but they'll meet me here, right?" He spun around to face Jango, the rain sliding down the neck of his blacks and making him shiver.

Jango shook his head. "You chose your path when you went back. Your wife needs you. She won't live much longer without you. I give her six months, before she throws herself off a catwalk. Your general? He needs you. He needs your rational thoughts and stability. Your lieutenant needs you. Fives looked up to you, tried to follow your lead. He's not ready to be second in command of a battalion." Jango put his other hand on Rex, gripping him tightly by both shoulders. He had a sad glint in his eyes.

"And that's why I have to this. Take your time, Ad'ika, take your time getting back."

He shifted his stance, and Rex barely had time to blink before he was thrown off the platform and into the icy waters below. He sank deeper and deeper into the cold, the light darkening, darkening...

Darkening to the inky black that swirled around him. Knowing what he had to do, Rex kicked his way up, swimming up higher, higher, higher...

And his eyes snapped open to blinding white light.

A/N - First chapter is up! And early at that! Although Rex still has no idea who he really is or who Ahsoka is... he at least knows something. Whelp, good luck, here's to the third and final book of the CT! (Cuyanir Trilogy... clone trooper... Ah-ha?)