Prologue Chapter: Despair Again

Start from the beginning

"Ugh, don't go reminding me about that." I flipped through the file one more time as I approached the elevator door.

"Well, perhaps if you learned to control your own mother, we wouldn't have to give you crap about her all the time."

"Why has she not been fired yet?" I wondered.

"She can be useful when she wants to be."

"Shocker." As I say this, the elevator opens and we both walk inside. I press the button to the second floor and the other employee presses the fourth floor button. We were silent the rest of the time, and soon she left when she got to her stop, leaving me alone yet again.

"Honestly..." I sighed to myself.

"..."

"Izuru Kamukura... and two captives." I wonder who those two captives could be. Maybe..."

...

...

"Maybe my luck is on a whole other level...." I say to myself as the elevator stops at my designated floor.

.

.

.

.

.

Komaru Naegi POV

A small two-bedroom apartment. No way out, and no way in. At least to the extent of my knowledge...

That is my world. And that's how my world has been for a good while now. This two-bedroom apartment that I live in is my world. My life doesn't extend beyond these walls. But it's not like I'm a shut-in or anything.

I am actually imprisoned inside this room. My name is Komaru Naegi. I'm a completely normal high school girl who lives an abnormal daily life. An imprisoned daily life.

3rd Person POV

"All right." Komaru says to herself as she stretches her body for about a minute or two. It seemed like she was preparing herself for something.

That something is soon apparent as she then takes a running start, and starts frantically pounding on the front door to her prison-like apartment room.

"Let me out! Let me out of here! Hey! Jeez, you can hear me, right? Just quit it already!" Komaru shouts as she gives the door one final kick before giving up like she ends up doing everyday. At this point she didn't know why she even bothered with this anymore, but it's become embedded in her daily routine to the point that not doing this felt weirder than doing it.

Regardless, she wasn't going to keep it up forever, so she just turned and walked away from the door to get on with the rest of her daily routine.

...

Komaru sighs as she takes a seat on her couch after just finishing taking a quick shower. After sitting in silence for a few minutes while staring off into space, the sound of a doorbell ringing catches komaru's attention

"Jeez! It's finally breakfast? It's about time, I'm starving here!" Komaru exclaims as she walks over to the door to find a plate of food that was slid through a latch in the center of the door. Komaru grabs the food and heads to the dining table so she can eat her breakfast.

"I wanted Japanese style this morning..." Komaru grumbles under her breath as she gets up from her chair to get a bottle of water from the fridge.

***

Regardless of what she preferred, Komaru finished up her breakfast relatively quickly. But as soon as she tossed her plate in the sink, she noticed the sound of the front doorknob rattling, as if somebody was struggling to open.