☯ Chapter 6: Oh Unholy Knight

Dreich studied the device in his hand, particularly the pentagon-shaped receptacle located at the center. The digital display above it read: Insert Passkey Device. He tucked the device inside the inner pocket of his trench coat.

He stood up from the sprawling leather sofa and walked towards the floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the private terrace. At its sides, the red Victorian curtains rendered a majestic quality to the place. Overlooking the terrace, the cityscape lit up the horizon as the setting sun hid behind the dark silhouette of the mountain ranges.

He turned around and smiled at the sight of the luxurious suite. “I like what you’ve done with the place, Doctor.” He looked down at the man sprawled out on the carpeted floor, unconscious. He walked towards him and lowered his knee as he fished for the man’s wallet. His left hand flipped through the credit cards with the dexterity like that of a real hand, despite the fact that it’s a mechanical hand. Finding what he came for, he took out the identification badge with his metallic fingers, and threw the wallet away.

“Dr. Mark Roswell. Top Secret Clearance. NSA,” he said to himself as his lips curved into a sinister smile.

 *      *      *

Behind the security station, Tony’s eyes swept back and forth from his computer to the lady outside the glass door. Having worked there at NSA for more than two years, he is already familiar with the routine. Employees swipe their badges, and their profile is displayed on his screen. Only when the profile picture matched their face would he open the reinforced microalloy glass door.

The doors slid open as he signaled the lady in. “Good evening, Miss Wendy.”

The doors closed and another profile flashed on his screen. Tony studied the picture of a bearded man with graying hair, and read the name above it: Mark Roswell. He looked up and saw a man with dark, roughed up hair behind the door. In that instant, he was certain the man’s face did not matched the profile picture.

“State your name please,” Tony spoke on the two-way intercom.

“Mark Roswell,” Dreich said in a dry tone. “Can you open the door?”

“I’m afraid I can’t.” Tony eyed him suspiciously.

“Maybe I can.” Without warning, Dreich’s fist pierced right through the door, shattering it to pieces. The alarm sounded off as soon as he stepped inside.

Tony’s eyes widened as he saw the man’s hand - a metallic hand that smashed the door that bullets could not even scratch. “What the hell?!” he stood up and reached for the gun in his holster.

In a swift move, Dreich dealt a palm strike at the center of his chest. This sent him flying several meters before his back hit the wall.

Tony struggled to get up, but his knees wobbled and he slumped to the floor again. He took out his security radio. “Security breach, one officer down…” The words trailed off as he winced in pain, his voice drowned out by the sound of the alarm.

“I repeat… we have a breach. He’s here!” he said in a weak voice as he watched his assailant waltz through the gates in his long flowing coat, disappearing inside the NSA top level security area.

 *      *      *

“Copy that. Take it easy Tony boy, I’ll take it from here.” Delta Squad Leader Jim Norris grinned as he replied on his security radio. The excitement pumped through his veins like steroids. Time for a workout, he said to himself as he cracked his neck and knuckles.

“Alright, listen up!” His voice boomed as his squadron stood in attention. “One hostile incoming, this shouldn’t take long,” he said as he looked down at his M416 rifle, moving its safety lever to the fire position.