☯ Chapter 7: Jack and Kerri

• Đã dành riêng cho Jorkam

Kerrigan had barely taken a sip of her coffee when she heard the commotion. She put her mug down and stepped out of her cube. At the far end of the room, several men stormed the office as if they owned the place. One by one, employee computers were carted away in trolleys as few men stood on guard. The back of their jackets were adorned with three letters, NSA.

She craned her neck and nudged a colleague’s elbow. “Hey Jack! What’s the NSA doing here?”

“They just said it’s a matter of national security. Other than that, I don’t really know,” Jack said.

She stifled a laugh. “At least, you know now what NSA stands for - No Straight Answer.”

“Kerrigan!” A voice called out from Peter Haye’s office.

Kerrigan turned to Jack with slumped shoulders. “Please tell me he’s not doing the double finger point.”

“I think he’s about to now.” Jack said as he slinked back to his cubicle.

Kerrigan turned around towards Peter’s office where she saw him behind the open door. With stony eyes, Peter looked at Kerrigan and summoned her with two fingers, curling twice in succession. Kerrigan obliged with a lackluster smile and walked towards him. Upon entering his office, she closed the door.

“Have you heard from Chris?” Peter asked.

“No, I haven’t. He was acting a little strange yesterday. He said he won’t make it to the meeting then took off. I haven’t heard from him since,” Kerrigan said. Inside the room, she saw a man in a gray suit, sitting across Peter’s desk.

“Why? Is everything alright?” Kerrigan asked. Her worried eyes darted between the two men in the room.

Peter’s brow knitted to a frown as he gave Craig Daniels an anxious look.

“I told you he went there. Where else would he be?” Craig leaned back against the chair as he squared an ankle over one knee.

“Kerrigan, this is NSA Agent Craig Daniels. He’ll fill you in on the details,” Peter said as he motioned Kerrigan to sit down.

“This will be hard for you to take in,” Craig said to Kerrigan as he opened his laptop, “but it looks like your friend Chris, has done something very bad.”

Kerrigan’s eyes narrowed to crinkled slits. “Look here, Mr. Daniels, you-”

“It’s Agent Daniels.” Craig corrected her.

“Yeah, whatever. Look here, Agent Orange. You don’t know Chris as much as I do, so you don’t have the right to-” Kerrigan was stopped short when Craig spun his laptop for both of them to see.

Playing on the monitor was a video capture from a surveillance camera. The overhead shot was a bit far, and Kerrigan could hardly recognize the face on the video. She looked at the timestamp on the upper left. Yesterday evening, she thought. In the video, she saw a man punched right through a glass door, smashing it to pieces. A few seconds later, the same man sent the security personnel flying several meters with a single strike.

“The glass door you saw is not your ordinary glass. It’s made of reinforced palladium micro-alloy glass. This glass is tougher and stronger than steel,” Craig said.

“Tougher than steel? Tell that to man who shattered it with one punch.”

“The security personnel from the video said the man had a bionic hand. His real hand must has been chopped off or something. Either way, palladium still is the strongest material on earth. How he topped that? I don’t know.”