"Amber. Please. Just leave me alone." Nate mumbled mutely, not having enough energy to put up much of a fight as Amber dragged him out the door, shoving him into her hot pink slug bug before getting in the driver's seat.

"No! You're my best friend, and I'm not going to let you waste away over some guy."

"He's not just some guy, Amber."

"Whatever. That's not the point. The point is, it's Friday night, and as your best friend, I'm morally obligated to make sure you don't spend it all cooped up and alone and miserable."

God, what the hell didn't she get about 'leave me alone'? This wasn't something that was just going to go away, or that he was going to forget. Erik wasn't just a stupid high school crush. And this wasn't just a break-up.

It wasn't as if there was any point arguing with Amber, though. She didn't listen half the time anyways, and she was obviously dead-set on trying to make him enjoy himself tonight. Too bad she hadn't caught on to the fact that that was impossible, unless getting back together with Erik while finding a way to keep him safe at the same time was somehow on the agenda.

Nate stared out the window as Amber pulled away from the curb, allowing a heavy silence to fall between them. He knew she was worried about him. She'd been doting over him all week, trying to get him to eat more or laugh or other shit like that. But he just didn't have the energy to pretend like he was alright anymore.

"Here we are!" Amber chimed cheerfully, pulling up in front of a huge house. Nate could hear the blaring music coming from the house even from the inside of Amber's car, which pretty much told him what he needed to know.

"Amber, I really don't feel like going to some lame party-"

"Too bad. We're here now, so you might as well try and have some fun."

Nate let out an exasperated sigh as Amber got out of the car, grabbing him by the arm and dragging him up to the house. Didn't this bring back fond memories? At the last party he'd been to with Amber, he'd kissed Erik for the first time, which had pretty much marked the beginning of their relationship. That had been so long ago, back when he'd thought Erik was just some dumb jock with a pretty face, trying to play a practical joke on him. Funny how he'd ended up being the one to break Erik's heart, and not vice versa. God, irony could be such a bitch sometimes.

Pulling Nate forward, Amber didn't even bother to knock as she opened the door, making sure Nate was fully inside before letting go of him.

Nate could make out the strong scent of alcohol, smoke, and...yuck, probably vomit, as he scanned the crowded living room they'd just walked in to, seaching the area for some corner where he could just keep to himself till-

Fuck.

Nate froze as he spotted Erik across the room. Sean was sitting next to him, scanning the room with a bored expression on his face. He could feel a mixture of pain and relief pulse through him as he took in the sight. Erik was safe, still in one piece, which was good. Jesus Christ, though, he looked...lost, or totally shitfaced, or something in between. He had a drink in one hand, and a cigarette in the other.

Damn it. He'd started smoking again. Nate resisted the urge to walk across the room and snatch the cigarette out of Erik's hand. Because he couldn't do that anymore, could he? He had no say over how Erik spent his time, or what the fuck he decided to put in his body. But it still killed him to see him smoking that shit up.

Maybe, if he left now, he'd be able to escape without Erik seeing him. He'd been staring down at the drink in his hand for the last few seconds, like it was pretty much the only thing in the room that interested him. Except Nate's feet didn't seem to work right. Or his eyes, for that matter.