The Calm Before The Storm

Start from the beginning

Squinting, Nate's brows creased in confusion as he'd realized they'd come to a stop, though it wasn't in front o f Sean's apartment like he'd been expecting. It was in the area, sure, but it was closer to the park were they'd taken their midnight walks. Actually, it was pretty much right next to the park, as in 'cross the street and you'll be there' close .

"Where are we-"

"Just follow me." The secret smirk slowly spreading across Erik's face made Nate's eyes narrow in suspicion. He was up to something, Nate just wasn't sure what. Getting out of the car, he was surprised to feel Erik take hold of his hand and lead the way into a nearby building. The whole holding hands thing wasn't what surprised him, they did that enough so that now Nate didn't even feel self-conscious or anything walking around hand-in-hand like that in public. It was the excitement in his touch, perhaps with a sense of urgency, that surprised Nate.

Leading him into an elevator, Nate cast a suspicious glance in Erik's direction as Erik leaned forward and pressed the number 7 button with his free hand.

"Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise." Erik mused, obviously satisfied by the puzzled look on Nate's face. "I assure you, however, that it is somewhat related to the conversation we were just having."

"Wait...we're not going to Zack's apartment, are we?"

Erik let out a small chuckle, shaking his head. "No, Nathaniel. I do not think doing so would exactly be the wisest choice at this time. Going in with no back-up, at 10:30 at night when Zack will undoubtedly be at home is not exactly what I would call a strategic move."

Well, what the hell were they doing here then? Nate wracked his brain for answers as the elevator reached floor 7 and Erik led the way over to a nearby door. Reaching into his pocket, he cast one last perplexing glance over his shoulder before unlocking the door and pushing it open for Nate.

Cautiously, Nate gave his boyfriend one last suspicious glance before stepping inside. Even after all this time, there we're still instances where he had no idea what Erik was thinking. Yeah, most of the time he could get a read on him, but Nate had a feeling that that was only because Erik wanted him to. When he had his heart set on hiding something, Nate might as well be staring at a brick wall to try and get any sort of physical clues out of him to figure out what he was thinking.

Taking a few steps inside, Nate froze as it hit him. The whole apartment, it smelled like peppermint, like Erik's peppermint. The place was decent sized, bigger than both Sean and Erik's apartments had been, and warmly decorated.

Glancing to the left, Nate froze as he spotted something oddly familiar framed on the wall. Cautiously taking a few steps forward, he did a double take to make sure his eyes weren't playing tricks on him and he was actually seeing what he thought.

"The note. This is the note, the one I wrote in the beginning, with all my questions and-"

Nate spun around, locking eyes with Erik, who was leaning casually against the doorway, a soft smile on his lips.

Holy shit. He'd kept it all this time. He must've gotten in back from Sean sometime between all the bullshit that had gone down because of it. But still. Holy shit. He knew he shouldn't be surprised, because it was Erik, and Erik just did shit like this, but he was.

"You know, Nathaniel, I do believe you know the answers to each and every one of those questions now."

Nate bit down on his lip. God. He didn't know whether to laugh or get all emotional and shit. It was just...he was in love with Erik. Actually in crazy, head-over heels ,'I get butterflies every time I'm around you' love. And Erik actually felt the same way.