Chapter Seven~ You're my Best Friend

Josuke's POV
We had all finished eating, Okuyasu's cooking was actually really good and I was absolutely stuffed (I might have eaten more than I should've). Mr. Nijimura had gone back up to his room once he was done, probably tired out from being around people for so long. Okuyasu and I stayed in the kitchen to clean up.

"Bro you don't have to help ya know, I made the mess so I can clean it up."
I began scrubbing our bowls,
"Man for the last time I want to help, it's the least I can do to pay you back for makin' dinner."
"You know you don't have to pay me back though-"
"We are no longer discussing this I'm helping and that's final,"
I said, beginning to dry off the dishes.
"Fine... thank you,"
Okuyasu mumbled.
"No problem, besides anything for my best bro~"
I flashed a smile in his direction, which he returned.
We continued to wash pots and pans, then scrub down counters and get the kitchen returned to it's original state.
We finally finished, Okuyasu was slumped over on the floor while I leaned on the counter.
"Man I'm beat..."
He muttered.
"Mmm same... I think we both deserve some desert after all that hard work we did,"
I looked down and saw him staring up at me, a glimmer in his eyes.
"Icecream?"
He asked excitedly.
"Yep! And I'm paying,"
I reached down to grab his hand and pull him up,
"Let's go."

We stepped outside where the sun had just begun its descent down the horizon, warm yellow light washed over the trees as the wind blew through them. We began the walk to our favorite local icecream truck, taking in the nice spring evening.

Along the way we saw a friendly dog who bounded up to us and knocked Okuyasu over.
"Pftt are you- wheeze- are you ok?"
I struggled to stutter out inbetween laughs, the dog now licking his whole face.
"Mphh yeah, ewugh, never been better."
I bent over wiping tears from the corners of my eyes and tried to grab the dogs attention. Once I had him occupied with pets and scratches Okuyasu shimmied out from under him, then standing up and wiping the slobber off of his face.

"Oi Okuyasu it's got a collar do you think someone los-"
"OH MY GOD I'M SO SORRY!!"
A guy who looked to be in his early twenties came running up, clearly out of breath.
"Is this your dog?"
Okuyasu asked, pointing to the large fluffy hound
"Ah yes, he got a little too excited for his walk and took off before I could put the leash on him. I'm so sorry for any trouble he caused,"
The guy explained hurriedly, slightly bowing at the end.
"It's fine,"
I said scratching the dogs head,
"He's cute."
"Thank you, sorry again and you guys have a good night!"
He pulled out a leash from his pocket and attached it to the collar,
"Come on boy, let's go home."
He waved goodbye to us and started on his way, struggling to keep the big dog from walking him.

"Well that was fun,"
Okuyasu remarked,
"I could've gone without the slobber kisses though."
I chuckled,
"Dude, your first kiss was with a dog!"
He cracked a wide grin and playfully shoved me,
"Shut up it doesn't count."
"Hmm well maybe not to you but I can't wait to regale everyone with the story of Okuyasu Nijimura's first kiss; I call it love at first woof~"
"Oh my god you're such a dork."
"Yeah but you chose to be best friends with this dork so this is really on you."
He just smiled and rolled his eyes,
"C'mon, the icecream truck is probably gonna close soon."

We reached the truck, the sun almost fully set now. I grabbed my wallet out of my back pocket,
"Alright so whaddya want, the usual?"
Okuyasu always got vanilla, a little plain for my tastes but a respectable choice.
"Actually... I think I'll have strawberry."
"Ohoho shakin' things up a little?"
"Yeah I guess... just goin' out on a limb."
"Ok then, I'll be right back~"

"Two waffle cones with strawberry please!"
"Alright if that'll be all it's 736 yen."
I dug around my wallet for the money, pulling out several crumpled bills.
"I think that's it... here ya go."
"Ok it'll be out shortly."
"Thank you!"

While I was waiting I looked over to see Okuyasu picking off some dog fur that had gotten stuck to his shirt during the previous encounter.

"Alright here are your two strawberry waffle cones!"
"Awesome, thank you so much!"

I waltzed on back over to Okuyasu who was now inspecting a large leaf that seemed to have fell on his head.
"Here is your strawberry cone per request."
He chuckled and grabbed the cone,
"Thanks Josuke."
"No prob."

We found a nice grassy spot to sit on and began to eat our icecream.
"Oh wow, this is so good..."
Okuyasu said, looking down at the cone in awe, the icecream beginning to slowly drip down his hand.
"How have I never gotten this before? It's so much better than vanilla."
"Man I've been tellin' you that for forever but ya never listened,"
I licked my icecream with a huff,
"Think about all those times you could've had strawberry but ya just ignored me and got plain ol vanilla like always..."
"Hah yeah.. guess I should listen to ya more huh?"
"Mhmm, I have great taste what can I say."
"You mean the same great taste that bought that mesh crop top that one time?"
"We do NOT speak about the forbidden crop top..."

We continued to laugh and goof around until our icecream was gone, then began the walk back home.
It was completely dark out now, the moon being the main source of light due to lack of nearby streetlamps.
"The night sky sure is beautiful ain't it..."
Okuyasu was looking up into the sky, his eyes sparkling with the reflection of the stars.
I felt my face heat up while looking at him.
"Uh y-yeah, it sure is..."
We continued to walk in silence, slowly approaching our neighborhood.

"Welp this is my stop!"
Okuyasu turned around and waved, still wearing his signature goofy smile.
"I had a good time tonight..."
"I did too... well I guess I'll call you later or something?"
I asked, I don't know why I was so nervous all of a sudden.
"Yeah totally, you know where to reach me!"
He turned around and waved before running the short distance to his house.
I waved back weakly,
"Yeah..."

A/N
1113 words, including the other chapters I've now officially written exactly 10000 words! I know it's not that much in the grand scheme of things but I would say it's a personal achievement for me, I mean I do think I've ever done more than 2000 words even on a school assignment. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the boys havin a casual icecream hang