The Lesser of Two Evils

Start from the beginning

Nate let out an exasperated sigh, trying to keep his frustration in check. So this was all he was going to get out of him? God damn it, all he had now was even more unanswered questions.

"Just answer one more question for me." Nate pleaded, glancing down at the letter once more.

Erik paused, a contemplative look spreading across his face. "You may ask me, but I'm not making any promises as to whether I can answer you or not."

"What does it mean....'shaming your mother from her grave'?"

Erik's mouth twitched, his jaw tightening slightly. Right, dead parents. Sore subject.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring it up, but-"

"No, I believe it involves you, actually."

Nate's brows creased in confusion. "How?"

"My mother, she only believed in traditional unions."

"As in, like, homophobia?"

"Yes."

Nate fell silent. Man...what could he say to that?

"Don't hold it against her, though."

Nate shifted his gaze back up to Erik. He had an odd look on his face, something that looked like a cross between careful reminiscence and...regret?

"She had her reasons." Erik finished, picking up the letter from where Nate had dropped it on the counter and stuffing it back into the envelope.

"How can someone have any good reasons to pass judgment on people and their personal lives?" Nate asked, his voice coming out harsher than he had meant it to as he remembered all the homophobic threats Sean had made to him.

Erik's eyes narrowed slightly, his grip tightening on the envelope. "Nathaniel, things are not always black and white. There is not always a right or a wrong perspective."

"Yeah, but there's no excuse for passing judgment like that."

"That's exactly what you're doing."

"What?"

"Your passing judgment on my mother. You have no idea who she was, or why she felt that way. You've simply decided it must be out of sheer ignorance, and that her opinion is inexcusable. Nathaniel, I understand where you're coming from, better than anyone. As her son, I know first hand what it feels like to face such unfair scrutiny. But believe me when I tell you she had her reasons."

Nate looked down, focusing his gaze on the floor. Crap. He was being such an asshole. Had he really just told his boyfriend that his dead mother was ignorant and had no right to feel the way she apparently had?

"I'm sorry, Erik. I shouldn't have said that."

"It's alright, Nathaniel."

"No, it's not. I'm just....this whole car thing, it's about you being with me, isn't it? I mean, it's about us being together or whatever. It's just, we've barely even started dating, and we're already having to deal with all this shit."

"The best things in life are the ones you have to fight for, Nathaniel."

Nate sighed, looking back up. "I know. I just hate that it has to be like this."

Erik shrugged, a small smirk tugging at the corners of his lips. Oddly, Nate felt at ease seeing the familiar expression on Erik's face, relaxing slightly.

"I guess it's a good thing I like you so much. If it had been anyone else, you know, I would have simply moved on and concluded that they weren't worth the trouble."