The Difference Between Boys and Girls

Start from the beginning

So fucking what. Meet me out front during 2nd.

Closing his phone, Nate cursed under his breath. Erik was being a real pain in the ass with all this secretive shit.

"Everything alright?" Amber asked, glancing over at him from her seat like he was a ticking time bomb.

"No. It's not."

Nate waited anxiously in front of the school, checking his watch for the 5th time. He sure as hell better show up. Alright, so maybe the bell had only rung, like, 30 seconds ago, but he was aggravated from a combination of lack of sleep and Erik being such a stubborn pain in the ass, which made waiting a hell of a task.

Finally, Nate spotted Erik heading towards him on his left.

"A bit impatient, aren't we?" Erik mused, his eyes taking in Nate's body posture.

"Well, you would be too if some asshole just left you hanging."

"Nathaniel, I didn't leave you hanging. I simply chose not to involve you in something that would make the situation even more complicated than it already is."

"Newsflash, Erik, the situation, whatever the hell that means, is already freaking complicated. Don't treat me like I'm some child that can't handle anything."

Erik let out a small sigh. "That's not what I'm doing Nathaniel."

"Really, because it sure as hell feels like it."

"Well, things are not always as they seem."

"Oh please. Give me a break. You want me to be open and honest with you while you're standing here refusing to tell me about something that happened right in front of my house?"

"Indeed, I'm quite the hypocrite. And I will continue to be as long as it is in your best interests."

"And that's up to you to decide, is it?"

Erik's eyes flickered across Nate's for a moment as if searching for something. "Nathaniel, do you honestly believe I'm keeping this information from you because I do not trust you."

"Yes, I do."

"You're the only person I've ever told about my parents."

Nate froze. Erik could be manipulating and cunning and lie like it was second nature, but Nate was sure he wouldn't lie to him about something like this.

"I- I didn't know."

"Well, now you do."

A heavy silence fell between them as Nate allowed the anger to slowly drain away.

"Listen, Erik, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have blown up on you like that, but last night scared me, a lot."

"And that's exactly why I think it would be a good idea not to reveal anything else."

"I wasn't finished. Las night scared me because you just totally shut me out and wouldn't tell me what was going on. And then you freakin' wouldn't even let me help you. Which made me angry."

"Nathaniel, it is not your job to help me."

"It's not about it being my job, Erik. It's about me wanting to help you because I care about what the hell happens to you. And it's bullshit what you're trying to do here. I can handle this, whatever it is."

Erik face softened slightly. "I never doubted your capacity to handle anything, Nathaniel."

"Then what the hell is the problem here?"

"Me."

Nate blinked, utterly confused. That was the absolute last thing he'd been expecting to hear come out of Erik's mouth.