twenty one

"The Third Task"

The great Hall was once again being used to paint faces

The great Hall was once again being used to paint faces. Blue, burgundy, yellow and crimson stripes found their way onto skin as some ate and some already left to their dorms.
Aria and Tayla were surprisingly late to breakfast, the prefect had spent half the night with Cedric in the library, going over last minute spells, and Tayla hadn't been satisfied until she was out of bed.

It was almost a reflex when she pulled on Cedric's yellow shirt for the task and headed down to breakfast with her best friend. They slipped onto the bench next to each other, Katie joining them moments later.

They were talking about their plans for the day, before a pair of arms wrapped around Aria's neck and gently squeezing her into a hug.

Cedric whispered into her ear, "You're wearing my shirt."

Aria giggled, "Well it's your big day, I thought you might need your lucky charm."

"I'm so scared for today." He said releasing from the hug, and Aria pulling him on the bench, sandwiching him between her and Katie.

"Don't be, what's the worst that could happen?"

"I could get scratched on the face by one of those bushes," he laughed, "they're lethal."

Tayla snorted, "Ari would be really upset about that."

Cedric smirked while Aria went red and hid her head into her hands, "I'm sure she would."

Aria groaned, still hidden in her hands, "Why do you always bully me, Tayla?"

"Because you look so cute when you get embarrassed."

Cedric nodded so everyone saw him agreeing to Tayla's statement about Aria.

-

The school band had started playing a stately march, barely audible over the clapping and cheering for the different champions.

Once again, half of Aria's face was yellow and black, the other red and gold as she started to leave the Great Hall with Tayla and Katie, before being held back by Cedric.

He had asked her to come with his mother and father to wish him luck before the task, the two of them walking next to each other, their hands constantly bumping into one another.

Mrs Diggory smiled knowingly when her son and Aria arrived to the champion area.

Cedric had watched her as she hugged Harry, Fleur and Krum in turns, his parents watching the smile curl onto his lips as she returned.

"If you get stuck, just break through the maze wall with the Defodio Charm and keep on going." Aria smiled up at him.

McGonagall entered the room, gesturing for the champions to walk out into the arena. Fleur went first her little sister running behind her with their parents, then Krum with his mother and father and Mrs Weasley and Bill went out with Harry.
Cedric's hand slipped into Aria's as the four of them slowly came out into the open, cheers reaching their ears.

Each champion and their family positioned themselves in front of a different entrance to the maze, politely waiting for Dumbledore to address the crowd.

"Earlier today, Professor Moody placed the Triwizard Cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position. Now, as Mr Diggory and Mr Potter are tied for first place, they will be the first to enter the maze, followed by Mr Krum and Miss Delacour.

Aria squeezed his hand reassuringly.

"The first person to touch the Cup will be the winner. I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter. Should, at any point, a constant wish to withdraw from the task, he or she need to only send up red sparks with their wands. Contestants! Gather around!"

Cedric, Harry, Fleur and Krum formed a tight circle with Dumbledore as he whispered a last few words to them, before they each gathered at their entrance, "Champions, prepare yourselves!"

Cedric was hugged by his father, then by his mother, before pulling Aria into a hug, both of their faces smushed into each others necks.

"Good luck, Ced!"

"Wait for me, okay Weasley?"

"Of course, but I need you to come back."

"I will, I promise."

"Good! Now show them who Cedric Diggory is!"

They parted and smiled at each other as the family all took their seats in a separate stand on the others.

"On the count of three. One-"

Dumbledore was cut off by the cannon, Filch shrugging his shoulders as the Headmaster out his head in his hands, gesturing for Cedric and Harry to enter the maze.

Cedric sent Aria one last smile as the hedged grew over his entrance and blocking him from view.

A few minutes later, the cannon went again and Viktor entered the maze, him too being obscured from view as the walls blocked him from view.

Fleur waved at her sister by her entrance, before the cannon went off for the third time. The last champion disappeared from view as the cheers carried on, though Aria doubt they could be heard, guessing that the maze was enchanted to block sound.

Aria took Gabrielle's hand, the two of them settling in for what was about to be the some of the worst hours of all their lives.